Dylan Carter: Not Very Common

Dylan Carter : Not Very Common

"Dyl? Can I come in?" Mom asked from the other side of the door.

I was writing a report about climate change and all and I didn't want her to come in so I though of a good alibi.

"I'm naked!" I lied. Let's just see if she'll come in now.

"Then put some clothes on," She ordered.

"I'm too lazy to do that," I answered.

"I'm coming in!" She said before I pulled the duvet from my bed and wrapped it around me.

"I told you to put some clothes on," Mom said annoyed. Her eyebrows creased and and her tone got higher. Her hands were placed on her hips and she was wearing her angry expression.

"I do have clothes on. I was just teasing my lovely mom," I teased to get myself out of trouble.

"Oh, stop it with the compliments. I just wanted to talk," She said as she sat fixed my bed then sat on it.

"About what?" I asked.

"How was school? Have they been treating you well or do I have to pull you out abd just make you go back to homeschooling?" She asked her voice laced with concern.

"No, I'm fine. I'm okay," I said as I sat with her.

"I just... I'm worried that you'll turn into one of those inresponsible, very immature, man-whore jerks that go to your school," She angrily said with her left eye twitching.

"Mom. I'm fine. I actually have a friend just like what you described but he's all right. He might be a little stupid towards his life decisions but I think he'll be a good friend," I explained softly.

"But what if he corrupts you? He's a bad influence," She said before I interrupted.

"Yeah, but what if I influenced him? He'll be better." I suggested and I saw her give up.

"So... are there any girls?" She teasingly asked.

"Nah. My type isn't in that school?" I said as I reminisced Cassidy.

"Why? Is Cassidy not there?" She asked.

"I'm totally over her. I think. Maybe. No. But I will. I guess," I said uncertain of what to answer. Obviously.

"Oh, honey. Just don't force yourself and don't search for love. It'll come to you," Mom said as she stood up and walked to the door.

"By the way, I thought you were going in a party?" Mom asked.

"The party got cancelled and was moved tomorrow night," I said as I grabbed my pen and a paper to draw some stick figure.

"Okay, well... go easy on the drinks and girls. I wouldn't want another kid running through the halls," Mom said as she closed the door.

Don't worry, mom. I won't-- I don't fall for girls that isn't Cassidy. And I doubt Cassidy will be there.

~~~~~~~~