CHAPTER FOUR

For the past four days Federica had gone through nearly the same schedule. In the morning, she would wake by five o'clock, she would go for a run, return and shower, and then she would go out to run with Juaquin, who was always diligently there. She was yet to accept the trip to his ranch, but she had a solid, true reason why.

As soon as she returned, she'd quickly learned to go upstairs, shower again, get dressed in more elaborately picked out dressings, before she returned downstairs to barely, or sometimes not, find her father. But this would follow with a hastened breakfast as her mother, Aina and June planned out the wedding, ensuring phone calls were made, flower choices were in order, or something of the sort.

Federica could say, hands down, she did not like the bridesmaids dress choice. While attempting at it at the shop, she'd quickly concluded she wouldn't be taking any photographs with it. Sadly, her mother did not find the same amusement she and Amada did in the comment.

After that day, Federica couldn't return to the town to ensure Teresa would be alright. She wanted to, and wished she could, but her mother had hijacked her time, from morning to evening. As soon as breakfast was done, her mother expected her to be somewhere at a specific time.

As it turned out, Helena led a very busy life. She'd ensured she was president of all boards she was part of. What use were you if you didn't lead? And she had quite a lot to lead. She made certain that Federica was occupied with this face and that face, and she didn't bother aiding her daughter remember faces. Instead, Federica used her father's example and was often capable of coming up with a name by the time a person got close enough to greet her.

They attended this luncheon, that brunch, this party, and that gathering, and often following each other that Federica's breather was in the car rides in between. Amada was working already, much to her mother's chagrin, which was further intensified by the fact that Amada lived away from home.

Aina was the only who still lived in the ranch. Once, when Federica had asked after Amada, her mother had stated firmly that a woman was never questioned in still residing in her father's house. A woman living alone, however, never having been married, was not right. At least, this was per Helena's standards.

Federica was beginning to get irritated by her mother's actions. She pushed Peony over the fence and was quickly out of the ranch. She wished she was as free as she suddenly felt, free to actually choose without having someone looming over her back, questioning every path she took. No, she wished she was free to choose, as simple as that.

Federica attempted to understand. Her mother loved her, there was no questioning that. In fact, why was she finding herself reinforcing that over and over each time her mother did something she didn't disapprove?

Helena had only scheduled her waking moments to the perfect slash of the letter 'T'. The only thing that had made yesterday's gathering, or most of the other gatherings, better to handle had been the Del Gaza girl. Sadly, even her company was only entertaining enough to pull Federica into an amiable trance.

What upset Federica was that her mother hadn't asked her if she wanted to join her in the liaisons? Sure, Helena possibly still thought she was a little girl who was interested in her mother's busy lifestyle. Clearly, any mother would think this, especially as said girl had been away for so many years. This was exactly what Federica had thought until she'd opened up her email just this morning.

"Congratulations, Ms. Federica Alejandra d'Osana, you have been registered to take Bachelors of Arts in Business Administration on the 3rd Trimester..."

This was enough of a reason for Federica to stop trying to make excuses for her mother and start determining how she was going to spend her summer and the direction her life was going to take. It certainly was not going to be meeting one face after another in this drone setting and onto that drone setting. And her life was not going to be like Aina's, but certainly not like Amada.