Opportunity

"Christina!" Frisson high-pitched voice snapped. Christina stood up quickly in bed, startled. "Wake up you lazy girl!"

Christina took a breath of relief as she heard her mother's footsteps walk away. Standing shakily, she made her way to her dresser. She slipped the blue satin pajamas off and replaced them with her hunting boots, dark blue jeans, and a blue t-shirt under a leather jacket. Christina glanced at her bookshelf and grabbed a book. The cover of  the book she chose was cold, but then again so was everything else in the castle. 

"World History." She mumbled under her breath. She opened the book and to the first chapter. The first chapter spoke of the nuclear war in 2459, almost wiping out mankind. The people who did survive, were gifted with special powers. The ones who ruled over the planet now was Earth, Water, Fire, and most of all, Air. Technicians saved some technology, like security cameras and other small devices. But things like cars and cellphones were lost to is forever, sending the world into a medieval like state of kings and queens. Christina was part of the Kingdom of Nix, one of the kingdoms in the colder part of the water district. Her parents were know as the King and Queen of winter. But many other secondary kingdoms threatened there position. The Technicians, now known as Bugs, were on the brink of war with them.

Christina sighed and another knock on her door jerked her from her daydreams. 

"Who is it?" Christina asked standing. 

"Vardigo your majesty." The voice answered. Chrissy smiled as she opened her door to see her knight. But he did not return her smile, his dark blue eyes sad.

"Vardigo? What is the matter?" She asked with concern. 

"There seems to be trespassers in the outskirts of the kingdom." Vardigo answered.

"And?" Christina didn't see how this would make her childhood friend sad. 

"I do not believe these are bad people so...I want you to go with them Chrissy." Vardigo said sadly. Christina's eyebrows furrowed. 

"Why would I do that?" Christina asked.

"Don't think I don't know what their majesties do to you. This is your chance to escape." Vardigo explained. "But you need to go now, the hunting party is leaving."

"What about you?" Christina asked worriedly. 

"I'll be fine." Vardigo smiled. "Go be free."

Christina smiled and ran to catch up with the hunting party. Once she was out of sight, Vardigo slid down the wall on the verge of tears.

"Goodbye Chrissy..."