Prologue

Prologue

"How can you tell when someone's a psychopath?"

Elizabeth Smoak looked up from the soup she was stirring on the stove to glance over at her oldest daughter Aviana. Aviana was wearing her usual skin tight black jeans and one of her many favourite oversized grey jumpers. Her long dark brown hair lying messily on her head in natural curls. Her face was completely makeup free, showing off her natural pale skin tone and the strong shade of her grey eyes. These nights weren't common as both mother and daughter were extremely busy, especially since Aviana had moved out because she needed more independence and was beginning to feel too old to rely on her parents.

"Already having doubts about your roommate Thea?" She asked causing her daughter to shake her head.

"Then what's going on?" The looks of nervousness caused Elizabeth to stop her cooking and turn fully, to stare at Aviana.

"Ava, are you in some trouble?"

Aviana let out a short chuckle, her piercing grey eyes that changed colour in the sunlight taking in her mother's worried expression. "Don't worry, Mum, you know I can take care of myself." The look on Elizabeth's face showed her that she didn't believe that.

"Mum, Thea and I have been taking self-defence classes together and she keeps a bat at the door just in case...it's just...there's a boy..." That caused her mother's eyes to widen and her mouth to drop in a knowing "oh".

"A boy?"

Aviana nodded, "A mysterious boy. With brown eyes and hair that is the most perfect dark shade of brown,  he always wears black skinny jeans – he seems so sweet and endearing, but I just can't understand him. He's unreadable."

"Well let me call the police now and have that menacing boy arrested for having my daughter being attracted to him. Shame on that poor boy...sounds like you're the one who's stalking him." Elizabeth replied sarcastically causing Aviana to laugh and throw a piece of dry pasta at her. "Hey! I'm just saying! You don't start a conversation with your mother; whom you haven't seen in a week by the way, by talking about psychopaths! You nearly gave me a stroke."

Aviana nodded and bit her bottom lip in thought. It was almost a week since she moved out of her parents' house across the city and got an apartment with her friend Thea Queen from work. Ava had just turned 19 and thought it was time she stopped depending on her parents so much and moved out; thankfully Thea had the same idea. When they looked online for cheap apartments and hit the jackpot with one that was in their price range and had a great view they thought they were the luckiest girls in the world. That was until one day Thea was going to take out the rubbish and ran into someone she did not want to see.

Aviana was on the sofa sketching a new tattoo design as she has recently just been hired at a the tattoo parlour down the street. She was just about to go get some cereal when she heard a scream from outside the front door. "Thea!" She yelled before quickly getting up, not caring she was only in an cropped jumper and panties. She grabbed Thea's bat and ran out the apartment in search of her friend. "Thea! Are you-" The words stopped right in Aviana's mouth when she spotted her lilac haired friend on the ground picking up the rubbish she dropped with a blonde haired guy helping her. The man stopped to glance up at Aviana while Thea continued to hastily place the things back in the bag.

"Hey." The guy said. He had blue eyes with creamy pale skin and wore all dark attire with a leather jacket to finish off his 'dark and mysterious' appearance. He was really attractive, that was the first thing that popped into Aviana's mind. He had the most perfect lips and that lip ring... "Luke Hemmings. I'm your guys neighbour across the hall." He extended a hand to Aviana who still held on to the bat tightly, her eyes going from him to Thea who was still on the floor picking up the trash.