Chapter 2: Part 1

The gentle wind blew softly against my face as I watched Ezra and Kanan before me.

"You have to step outside of yourself. Make a connection with another being." Kanan told us.

Suddenly I felt Ezra's annoyance. "Can we do this another day?" He asked.

"We can do it now." Kanan bent down and picked up a rock, throwing it into the wide field before us. "Focus."

Ezra was about to say something else but I looked at him questioningly.

Looking out at the landscape, I smiled for a moment, admiring how pretty Lothal was.

Then a strange noise came from the tall tan grass, and two pointy ears popped up. A tiny cat-like creature jumped from the grass and snarled at us.

"Ezra how about you take this one?" Kanan asked.

Ezra put his hands out in front of him. "I don't think he wants to connect."

"Your resisting." Kanan told Ezra.

"He can sense it too." I chimed in.

"He can sense it? What is he? A padawan pet?" I rolled my eyes at Ezra's question.

Then the small animal pounced and landed right on top of Ezra, knocking him to the ground, still making its snarling noises.

I covered my mouth to suppress my laughter, but Kanan just smiled. "You don't seem to be getting this."

"I get that this fur ball is trying to kill me!" Ezra wrestled around with the creature more before throwing it away from him.

The creature landed on its feet and hissed at Ezra.

Ezra then stood up and turned to Kanan. "Give me your lightsaber and I'll make the connection."

I stared at Ezra for a moment.

Ezra what's wrong?

"Excuse me?" Kanan asked, also surprised.

Ezra didn't respond to my thought. "I'm sorry I just don't see the point in this."

"The point is that your not alone. You are connected to every living thing in the universe." Kanan put out his hand and closed his eyes.

I could feel the energy vibrating between Kanan and the animal.

"But to do that, you have let your guard down. You have to be willing to attach to others." The once snarling animal was now purring lightly.

"And what if I can't?" Ezra asked.

"If you always hold on to your past, if you only try to protect yourself, you'll never become a Jedi." Kanan said remorsefully.

Ezra crossed his arms over his chest. "Then maybe I'll never be a Jedi." He said quietly.

"Okay Ezra what's wrong? You actually need to spill." I walked up to him.

Ezra sighed and looked up at me. "Im sorry guys I don't mean to be so down. But today's not a good day... It's never a good day."

"Today?" I asked. "What's today?"

"Empire day."