Crashing Down

Trigger Warning: beating and violence. Please don't read if you're not comfortable.

(sorry this has to be posted on a Friday..)

--

By the then her house came into view, she had an entire conversation planned out in her head. She was going to sit Robin down and tell him; she was confident he would be happy about it. Maybe she was wrong, maybe a baby could be a good thing after all. Regina couldn't quite pin why such an easy question could be so difficult to say.

Before she could get to the front door, it opened, revealing her smiling and energetic son. "You're back!"

Roland wrapped his arms around her legs, staring off into the endless field of green that was displayed behind her. He narrowed his eyes when he saw the distant form of a man walking towards the house from far away. Watching the man advance for a few seconds, Roland soon realized who it was.

"Mommy, what's Alan doing here?"

Regina turned around and glanced towards the blonde haired man, immediately having a discomforting feeling about him. When she didn't provide him an answer, Roland broke his hold on his mother and shielded his eyes against the sun.

"Hi Alan!" He shouted at him, pleased to see him smile back. Alan quickened his pace, and soon, he was only a mere few feet from them.

"Hi Roland," he replied, though his voice didn't seem very inviting.

"What are you doing here?" Regina asked, putting a hand on the four year old's shoulder. "Robin isn't here..." She said, her puzzled expression growing. "He's at the Merry Men meeting... Wait, shouldn't you be there too?"

"Okay, you got me," Alan said, his voice cutting like ice, "I dont want to talk to him, I want to talk to you Regina."

She tightened her grip on his shoulder when she heard him say her name. Something was very wrong.

"Roland, why don't you go inside so Alan and I can talk," she said slowly, never taking her eyes off the man.

The boy shook his head. "I want to stay with you."

Alan clenched his teeth, his eyes hardening. "You should listen to her, Roland."

And then he snapped; he whipped the back of his hand against the side of her face and struck her. Roland screamed as Regina stumbled back in shock, the right side of her face burning with pain. She caught her breath and grabbed hold of her son. "Go inside!" She shouted, pushing him in the direction of the door. He obeyed this time; tears were falling down his face as he dove for the doorknob. Alan then grabbed hold of the back of her dress and shoved her up against the side of the house, stealing all the breath from her lungs. She let out a cry as he hit her hard on her side. Struggling did almost nothing, he had such a strong hold against her.

Inside, Roland darted across the house towards he and Henry's bedroom; Henry was still fast asleep. The boy practically jumped on him and yelled for him to wake up. Henry glared at him when he woke, but he could sense something terrible must have happened, for the four year old's face was a chalky white.

"Alan's outside and he's hurting mommy!" He sobbed, causing Henry to jump out of bed. His blood ran cold when he heard his mother scream.

"Y-you stay here, okay?" He said shakily, moving the boy towards his bed. "Don't leave this room no matter what."

Roland screamed after his brother as he left towards the front door, watching in absolute dismay as it opened again, revealing the horrific scene once again.