Chapter 2

Elihu

Dear Diary,

When I went to work today, my boss called me over for a meeting. I was really scared because I thought that he was going to fire me. I went to the conference room he booked for our meeting. I brought all my stuff just in case. Although he is really nice, my boss can be really scary too, especially if he's upset. So here I am, in the conference room, waiting for my boss to come. Ah! There he is. Got to go!

"Why are you writing so quickly in a notebook?" my boss asked as soon as he entered the room with his laptop, some papers, and two notebooks.

"Well...um...I guess I...uh...was planning out my day?"

He raised an eyebrow and sat down, raising his hands in surrender.

"Ok, whatever you say Elihu. I came here to talk to you about a trip that I'd like you to take to research more on the current drug we are trying to make."

I sighed in relief because he wasn't mad at me. I stopped freaking out and relaxed a bit.

He continued, "Are you listening, Elihu? Yeah well, you'll be going to Australia to research this drug. Don't worry though because I have arranged for others to work with you. What do you say?"

"Well, how long would I be there?"

"A few years at the least. I'm thinking about 4 from what things look like from the MeinCoul perspective. It may be increased to a maximum of 8 years. I know its long, but we really need someone to go there, and you are the best candidate. I will even increase your pay by 20% if you agree. We're that desperate for someone."

Whoa. That was a lot thrown at me right there. FOUR YEARS AWAY FROM TREE?! What was this man thinking?! Maybe I might take the offer because of money...but does money really matter? I mean I just needed for taxes and food and clothes and well, I think I need the money. I should ask Tree about this.

"May have a day or two to think about it? And, is the 20% increase permanent, or only while I'm in Australia?"

"Worried about the money, eh? Aren't you single? I shouldn't be asking that. Anyway, no I only have the ability to increase your pay for the time you're gone. I can, however, give you about 2 days to decide."

"Alright, thank you. Should I email you, or talk or maybe call-"

"Don't over complicate things, Elihu. Whatever mode of communication suits you suits me too."

"Ok, thanks!"

"Oh Elihu, one more thing. I believe that you are done working today, yes?"

That was weird. Why does he care so much if I'm done or not. He usually never asks...

"Umm, yeah I guess so. Why?"

"Do you mind coming over for dinner tonight? My wife cooks really well."

"I don't know yet, but I'll let you know as soon as I get home."

I hope I didn't make him suspicious. Well, he probably is. I mean a single man that lives by himself...shouldn't he know his own schedule? I needed to ask Tree because he is my adviser. He freaks if I don't ask him about these things.

"Elihu son, you truly are a wonder. I hope that you are able to come!"

Oops, I think I made it too obvious. Oh well. What does he want in the first place?

**~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**

I went home and wore my pajamas. I started to make green tea because I needed some relaxing time to myself. A lot happened today, and I needed to think about it. I drank my tea and went outside to talk to Tree.