Chapter 3

Elihu

Dear Diary,

I got up in the morning and packed my bags as quick as possible. I called my boss realizing that I'll be gone for a few years, and I needed to know how much I was allowed to pack.

"Kale, how many bags am I allowed to bring?"

He groaned.

"Elihu, do you really need to wake me up this early about packing bags? I've planned for you to leave on Sunday. I'll give you details at work today."

Hmm. Well since today was Tuesday, packing can wait. After all, I don't have very much to do this week except say goodbye to Tree.

"Alright then, thank you Kale!"

"Goodnight Elihu. Do I really have to come to work today?"

"Not if you don't want to...I mean you tell me the stuff I need to know by phone, right?"

"Well, I suppose so."

He hung up and I stopped packing my bags. I got ready for work, ate breakfast and went outside. I went up to Tree and woke him up.

"Hey there Sleepyhead! I'm going to work now and Kale told me that I'll be leaving on Sunday."

"Is it morning already? Oh, well ok Elihu. Have fun on your mission."

"Did you not hear me, Tree? I told you that I'll be leaving on Sunday, not today."

"I know. You'll pobably be busy with packing and learning skills from Kale this week...or what's rest of this week."

"Oohh. That's what you meant. Ok, Thanks anyway!"

"Good luck Elihu. This journey of yours will not be easy. Please don't get hurt."

"Yeah, yeah. See ya!"

I turned and ran towards the driveway, as I heard Tree chuckle to himself. I better get to work on time, even if my bo-Kale wasn't coming.

As I parked my car in the parking lot, I saw Kale running towards the building. Whoa. He's really disorganized. He had papers in all directions in his arms, and his clothes were not perfect like usual. Wonder why...

**~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**

I went to my desk and sat down to do work, as I heard a knock at my door. When I looked up, I saw my boss standing there. I opened the door and let him in. He tried to fix himself a bit , sighed and took a seat in a chair.

"Elihu, sorry about my appearance. I decided to come to work because I can't risk having anybody listen to our conversation. Here are some papers for you."

With that, he placed a messy stack on my desk.

"Kale, what do I do with these?"

"These will help you with your special power. You're not the first that I have coached. These are the lessons I want you to look over. Along with work, you need to learn to be able to summon your power. I will try to make your office workload less, but you'll still have a lot to do. I'm sorry, but as Tree told you this morning, you won't be able to communicate with him very often."

"Can I ask you a few questions?"

"Sure, Elihu. What is it?"

"How do you know exactly what Tree told me? And who else have you coached? What is the name for my power?"

"Whoa there, son. I told you yesterday that I have that ability. I have only coached one other, but I cannot tell you who. Your power is called Calling. Your ability is similar to mine, but you can talk to Trees while I can't. You can also Call the Specials. Specials are the ones that can talk to Trees. The Trees you talk to are also Specials, but they are Special Trees. I am not quite as powerful as you are. My ability is called Clairvoyance. I am one of five of the Clairvoyants. Once you arouse your power, you will know the other Abilities and their Powers."

Why does he always do that? I mean couldn't I just ask a million questions and he just answers them so I can have time to take in the information. I kind of stared at him intently trying to gather the information. I think I might have scared him because he looked away.

"What do I do to 'arouse my power'?"

"Well you follow the notes I gave you. Haven't I told you that like five times already?"

"Umm I guess so. Can Tree help me so that I don't have to read all these papers?"

"No. Tree doesn't have the knowledge yet to train you for this journey. He can only sense that it is dangerous. In fact...forget the papers. I'll come to your house and stay with you so I can teach you...if you don't mind."

How am I supposed to not mind? I mean MY BOSS is staying in my house. How much worse can this get?

"Oh, Elihu. Did I mention that you may not get sleep for a few days because that's kind of part of your training?"

This just got a WHOLE lot worse. Why me? Why can't someone else go on this mission? Isn't there someone else in this world who can go instead of me?

"To answer your questions Elihu, no. You are extremely special and the ONLY one that can do this. You are the one and only Caller. Consider yourself one of the really special Specials. You are basically our Ruler. There have been previous Rulers, but their role in our World was not as important as yours is. There has never been a Caller before you, and there will, hopefully, be no more."

"How do you now exactly what I'm thinking?"

"Elihu, I am a Clairvoyant. We can see the future and see the thoughts of Trees and Specials. Sadly though, we cannot see what Earthlings think."

Earthlings? I'm going to assume that those are people that have no special powers.

"Alright Elihu, may I come to your house tonight?"

"Is your family ok with it?"

"Yes. I'll be staying until Saturday. Is that ok?"

"Sure...is Tree ok with it?"

"Yes. See you later. Oh! Be sure to get your actual work done too!"

God, this man. I guess this week will be very stressful. I hope he will tell me what to pack...