Herobrine

Safe. That word rings around my head a few times, until I get a solid sense of reality around it. Then my heart sinks at the fact that Phase is still in there, trapped just because he knows me well. Despite the little voice that tells me just to stay lying down, I sit up, pain following shortly afterward.

Torchlight suddenly spills down what I assume to be a hall (how I hate halls at the moment). For a split second, I fear that maybe I had teleported us to the wrong location. Relief fills me when I see that its only Amara coming in to check up on me. Heat spreads across my face when I realize how awkward it is for a ten year old to see me in this condition.

Instead of Amara's expression being soft and carefree, it seems hardened and cold. If it had been under different circumstances, I would have mentioned something about her appearance being a little childish and unnecessary, but I don't.

Amara sits down next to me on the bed, the opposite of what I expect. We sit in silence for a while, myself slowly mulling over what could have happened and what could've not happened. Finally, Amara looks up at me, softening up just a little. "She wants you downstairs as soon as you wake up," she says quietly.

I can only presume that who Amara means is to be Zane. With me disappearing for almost five years now, I can't imagine of what she thinks of me now. Biting my lip to make sure I don't say anything to Amara as she leaves, I stand up and follow her, confirming that there is indeed a hall outside my new room. I am slightly surprised when no other pain occurs.

"You're late," is all she says before setting down three plates on a table. I sneak a look at her eyes as she briefly checks outside through a small window for whatever reason. Before I can look away, she catches my glance.

I turn away after a quick second, grabbing my plate after figuring it to be too uncomfortable if I sit at the table with her and Amara. I start walking away to what I know to be the living room, when out of the corner of my eye, I see Zane open her mouth slightly as if she is about to say something, but I see it close before any sound comes out. I continue with a strengthened stride, determined not to run into her again before the day ended.

Nothing really has changed since the last time I've been here. A new rug lays in place rather than the old tattered rug of the past. Instead of an orange noteblock she had before, a vibrant purple one sits where it was before. A green love seat is placed next to it.

I sit down, positioning the plate on top of the noteblock. Picking at the sugared bread and the sliced apples, I sense Fernando more than see him come out of a different door than I came through. Looking up when I had managed a corner of the bread, I notice he had changed out of the guard uniform garb, and into a simple red plaid sweater and dark denim jeans. He stands awkwardly to the side, and I recognize the hesitation he's feeling.

He finally sits down next to me. I involuntarily stiffen when Fernando accidentally brushes his arm against mine. I lean back farther in a hurried attempt to make myself more comfortable, knowing that I won't be able to eat anything else. As if reading my thoughts, Fernando takes an apple slice and eats it in one bite.

I slowly breathe, taking this as a chance to know Fernando a little more. Basically, I want to know more than that his name is Fernando, and that Markus won't let him even be in his sight anymore. I hear Zane idly chatting with Amara, and I envy that Zane will probably be the one to tell the truth to her rather than me.

"When did you decide to save me?" I feel that that's the most important question. If he answers that question, then I will basically get the why part as well. It is as if Fernando is frozen like an intricate ice sculptor, before he finally "breaks the ice" with speaking.