[7] Hubble's Law

Chapter 7 - Hubble's Law: The law of physics that states that the farther a galaxy is from us, the faster it is moving away from us.

Anne

Before, I had never experienced a loss. Now, I had lost two people who had treated me like their own daughter and a little girl half my age who confided in me as if I were her sister.

For weeks, even months later, there were only a few journalists who discussed what happened or what could be the cause of the Wagner's deaths. It was reported by investigators that small, handmade explosives were planted beneath the stage between the first day of the conference and the second. The only lead officials had, and the only one they ever reported on, was that they had identified the conspirator: an impulsive man with insane, outspoken ideals named Randy Trenton. They claimed he was a cause of trouble in the past, terrorizing speakers by sending death threats and sabotaging meetings and events, but he disappeared into thin air. His motives were hinted that he didn't like the muckraker ideology the Wagners were using, but his real intent for the bombs was as obscure as his location.

A seven-year-old girl, who used to read the same book at every chance she got and (she had once told me in confidence) idolized her big brother and parents because of their curiosity of the cosmos, had still died horrifically. I couldn't help but think, what could she have possibly done to deserve such an ultimate punishment? Whenever I thought of April I would stare down at her gift to me, the shimmering ring, and hear her elated voice as she once exclaimed we could be like sisters.

After Ed left the hospital and before the funeral, I fixed April's necklace to the best of my ability and gave it back to him. The galaxy charm no longer sparkled like it once had. In fact, it looked more like a crude chain of twisted metal. And though I hadn't seen a change in Ed's blank stare and disheveled appearance since he learned the truth of his family, he spoke a thank you that was sincere. In fact, it was the only time he spoke to me after waking up in the hospital. He looked pitiful.

The sky still shines with all its brilliance, but it no longer has the two of us to gaze at it. Our spot in the fields lies vacant. Now, it seems I'm losing him too.

---

After some time, Ed returned to normal.

He'd laugh and talk with everyone, returning to his cheerful self that made it easy to be around him. He never avoided me outright, but he did place distance between us. From the outside looking in, I saw that Ed was never truly the same but tried his best to forget that day. However, he purposely tried to forget me. I deduced long ago that it was because I reminded him of them too much, and of the good times we had all once shared.

I didn't let it get to me, and began focusing on my studying even more so instead. But I often found myself alone when stargazing. I knew Ed was going to have things rough for a long time, and he always seemed to be drifting from one thing to another, like he was looking for himself. His gray eyes were searching, he was wandering and lost. But most of all, he was lost in his own home.

I learned something during these uncomfortable years, time creeps slowly when you don't have anyone to share it with.

---