[13] Granulation

Chapter 13 - Granulation: A pattern of small cells that can be seen on the surface of the Sun. They are caused by the convective motions of the hot gasses inside the Sun.

Anne

On our second morning on the heavily industrial island equipt with some type of nuclear power, we decide to eat chocolate chip pancakes. Granted, they aren't anything special, but I never expected five-course meals from a place where three-fourths of its imports consist of, or relate to, jet fuel. But of course, the bistro excels in iced teas. I order exactly four while Noelle sticks with water, Ed drinks orange juice, and our new acquaintance, Oliver, sips coffee.

We call this a brunch meeting because 1) it is after the morning rush and we're left with a mostly desolate restaurant and 2) it's a meeting over yesterday's introduction to the island and how it left us all utterly confused. I take a bite of the gooey, chocolatey mess sitting on my plate as Oliver clears his throat.

"It might be just me, but when I came here I expected to find my place instead of growing more lost." He says.

"Well, I came here because I wanted to see where my work could take me," Noelle says, her spoon clinking against the water glass as she swirls the ice inside. "What about you?"

"I'm a pilot. I can fly all kinds of things, anything with wings."

"That doesn't answer my question." Noelle shakes the spoon at Oliver. "Besides, the ship will most likely be controlled remotely so there's no need for a pilot."

"I know that."

"So what made you sign up?"

Oliver grins, gathering a forkful of pancake and devouring it. "That's another topic that I don't believe we came here to discuss. Plus, I just met all of you. I can't share all my secrets right away."

My eyes roll. "Fine, then what do you make of this?" I pull out the letter I found this morning in front of my door. "We all received them, right?"

Oliver and Noelle nod. "The notice of our training beginning tomorrow." They say.

"How are they going to train us in a week?"

"Everything will probably be out of our control like she said." Oliver points to Noelle. "We won't need to know how to work any of the controls of the Curlicue or the ship we take there, we'll just need to prepare our bodies for the flight."

"I still can't believe it. A whole month." Noelle sounds caught between excitement and apprehension, but she shrugs it away. "It's going to be a hard week."

"Yeah, only ten get the grand prize, right?" Oliver smirks. "I'm getting on that ship no matter what."

I finish one pancake and start to cut up the next. "You're going to have your work cut out for you if you're just a pilot who won't even be flying the ship."

Oliver opens his mouth, but no words come. He closes it again and sinks a bit into his seat.

"What do you suppose made them choose us?" Ed has been sitting quietly in the corner of the booth, and I notice that he's been looking down the whole time. Only now he glances up long enough to ask, "I mean us specifically. Why us when so many didn't move on?"

"Well, they said they chose the best and smartest right?" Oliver waves his fork through the air as he speaks. "Maybe we're 'gifted' candidates. Like... they see some potential in us but can't explain it."

"So let's get this straight," Noelle glances around at our small group. "We've got a quirky quoting botanist, an airhead pilot, one Einstien in the making, and finally," She points the tip of the straw she had been counting with at Ed. "A certain space buff by the name of Edmund Wagner. Give yourself more credit, I think that sounds gifted enough to me."