Chapter 3

Rachel's POV

Three whole minutes had passed by and I still couldn't digest what just happened. The whole cafeteria was silent. Apparently, I wasn't the only one in a state of shock.  Did that bitch just insult me? Infront of EVERYONE? WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?! First she called me a slut, then she said Jason was in love with me? Felicia was definitely bipolar or something. At one point she acts like such a dumb bimbo and the next, she's acting like a fortuneteller telling me all hell will break lose in my life!

I let out a huge frustrated sigh and until then I hadn't realized that I had been holding my breath in. Jason looked at me and his eyes bore into mine. His eyes were full of emotion, but I couldn't make out what. He started making his way towards me when I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist. I instantly recognized the smell and knew it was Zack.

"Shhh baby, everything will be alright. I'm always here for you." He whispered in my ear. He kissed the top of my forehead and I could feel the weight of the mountain on my shoulders being shared with someone else. 

"Well, if THAT isn't crazy then what is!", Lucy said loud enough for the whole cafeteria to hear. I was thankful because she managed to break the thick layer of tension. I let out a chuckle, and was followed by a few other people. Then, within a few seconds that steamy conversation was fogotten.

***

Jason's POV

I lazily made my way towards my car as I got out of school. Detention just ended, and I was extremely tired. I heard someone call out my name and turned to see where it was coming from. I was surprised to see Zack walking towards me. Even more surprising was the fact that he didn't look angry, infact it actually looked as if he wanted to have a civil conversation with me.

"Hey, can I talk to you for a sec?"

With a confused look, I said, "Um, yeah sure.."

"So, I think we got off on the wrong foot here. I mean, I know you're Rachel's best friend and I know that if I don't get along with YOU, then me and Rachel are probably doomed. And the thing is, I really like her. So, I would really like if we try to get along, for her."

"Shocking, because earlier today you were ready to pound my face in!"

"Am I to be blamed for being a protective boyfriend?! And trust me, I was ready to kill you, but after the whole incident with Felicia, I wasn't willing to drop the bomb on her to cut off contact with you. I just care about her alot and want to protect her from getting hurt.." His voice drifted away and at that moment I noticed that he was telling me the truth. He really did like her.

"Yeah, I know what you mean."

From the look on his face he tried interpreting my words, but brushed it off. "So, does this mean we're cool?"

With a small smile, I said "Yeah we're cool." 

It was a win-win situation. I get to be best friends with Rachel and Jason got to be his boyfriend.

So, why did it feel like I just lost?