0.9

minus one

louis grabbed a banana from the counter on his way out the door, not really having the time for a full breakfast. he over slept and was twenty minutes late for his doctors appointment. he was hoping if he hurried there, they'd still see him.

he snatched a random pair of keys at the garage door and clicked the beeper to see which car it belonged to. when the audi's lights flashed, he sighed in relief. he didn't really want to drive one of the flashy sports cars to the doctors.

he climbed in and tossed his now half eaten banana on the seat, pushing the button to start the car before he pressed the button to open the garage. he pulled out and headed straight for the doctors office, thanking the heavens when he saw there was no traffic.

he managed to get there in under fifteen minutes with no speeding and felt pretty proud of himself. he rushed in and asked if he would still be seen, thankfully it was a slow day so he would. he just had to wait for the doctor to finish with their current patient.

he sat in the nearly empty waiting room and pulled out his phone to call niall, who was meant to be there but of course wasn't. his phone rang and and rang but he didn't pick up. louis called a few times before he gave up, realizing he'd have to go through it alone. not at he needed someone by his side, it was just an ultrasound after all but it would have been nice for him to have niall around.

"tomlinson," a voice called and louis' looked up, looking towards the door where a man in scrubs was standing.

louis stood from the uncomfortable chair he was in and walked over to the man, nodding his head when he was asked if he was louis.

"you alone," the man asked. louis nodded, trying to forget the hurt that seemed to zap his heart. he could never understand how he could physically feel an ache in his chest when niall hurt him, it was overwhelming.

louis nodded anyway, faking a smile as the man gestured for him to follow.

"do you talk," the man asked as he led louis down the hall, turning left and then right.

"i do, i'm just not in a talking mood," louis said, his voice barely above a whisper.

"i'm sorry. have a seat, doctor matthews will be right with you," he said, mock sympathy on his face as he left the room.

louis groaned, wanting to throw himself on the bed like a child who'd been denied a new toy but he decided it's best not to act like a child when he's carrying a child.

after about ten minutes of waiting, a women came in with a clipboard and a warm smile. louis didn't know why but he felt a sense of comfort the second she walked in.

"hello, louis. i'm doctor matthews but you welcome to call me becca," she said, still a warm smile on her face as she reached to shake his hand.

"it's nice to meet you," he said, a genuine smile on his face for the first time that day.

they went on with the appointment after that, smiles on their faces as they looked at the little bean shaped baby on the screen. louis was happy, really but he wished he had a hand to reach out and hold when his tears started to fall.

"thank you," louis said one last time before he left with two copies of his ultrasound and tears in his eyes.

++

it was past midnight when niall finally got home, he found that all the lights were off when he got there and wondered if louis was asleep. much to niall's surprise, he wasn't.

he was up sitting crossed legged on his bed, tears in his eyes as he stared down at whatever was in his hand. he couldn't stand the sight, he hated to see louis cry.

"you alright, princess," niall asked, closing the bedroom door behind himself once he was all the way in.

louis jumped a little, completely unaware of niall's presence before he'd spoke.

"i'm fine," louis said, voice sounding anything but it.

"what is that," niall asked as he walked over to the bed and his heart nearly stopped when he realized what it was.

"how did you get that," niall asked carefully, hoping the answer wouldn't be what he thought it was.

"i printed it from the Internet," louis said and spoke again when he noticed niall opening his mouth to speak, "i got at the doctors, how else would I get it dumb ass."

"i thought your appointment wasn't for another week and a half," niall said and louis scoffed, of course niall would try to play like he got the date wrong.

"today's the ninth," louis said and niall just look more confused than before.

"i thought it was the nineteenth," he said, mentally reminding himself to fire whoever messed up the date.

"no, it was today and today is the ninth, so you're wrong," louis said, still not looking at niall.

"im sorry, ba-" niall started but louis cut him off before he could finish.

"i don't want to here it. you should have been there! how hard is it to remember one fucking date? I bet you remember the dates of all your meetings," louis snapped, finally looking up at niall but his look was anything but nice.

"yeah, but those are actually important," he said and wow, louis must have been dumb to not expect this from him.

"unbelievable," louis said, standing from the bed and storming out of the room.

"fuck, fuck, fuck," niall mumbled, he knew he messed. he really fucked up now and he hoped and prayed that louis would be just as forgiving this time around.

*   ੈ✩‧₊˚*   ੈ✩‧₊

seriously, thank y'all so much for 6k! i saw that and got so hype lmao. love you all sooo much !!

what do you suppose will happen next? and what would you like to see happen in this story?

- kali (is v sorry for the lack of updates)