13: No No No

Mitch's POV

    I woke up to the whistling of the wind outside and the smell of bacon in the kitchen. I got up and looked out my window to see the sun shining. It might seem crazy, but I actually felt happy. (Song reference ;) ) A smile spread across my face and a long lost, familiar feeling trickled from my head to my toes.

I skipped to my closet across the room and pulled out a red and black plaid button up shirt that belonged to Scott. It was my favorite shirt to wear, so I put in on immediately. It was already too big on me before, so I laughed a little to myself when the sleeves went about six inches past my fingertips.
   After getting dressed, I strolled out towards the kitchen to see Scott at the stove. He looked up at me quickly, as if I scared him, his blonde hair whipping through the air.

"So that's where my shirt went." He called out to me.

"I can't resist it, it's amazing." I said wrapping my arms around myself.

"Yea? Well it's not so amazing for me when you wear it twenty-four seven."

"Oh, calm down Catherine, you're just jealous because I look better in it than you ever will." I said, twirling so he could see what I meant.

He chuckled, but his adorable laugh was cut short when the vibrations of his phone on the counter drew him away from the stove.

"Hello." He answered. "Oh, hey Esther. Yea we're good. I know it is a beautiful day."

As his conversation with Esther carried on, the enlightening smile that once settled on his face was slowly replaced by a gloomy frown.

"Okay, yeah we'll be there."

He hung up the phone and continued toward the stove without saying a word.

"What was that all about?" I said with a bit of concern in my voice.

"Esther wants to hold another meeting at her house."

"Well I don't blame her, the winter show is tomorrow and we're still not...us."

That was the moment when I had finally thought about it. I had been so caught up in our usual shenanigans that I didn't realize the day we had been dreading for three weeks was finally upon us. My once perfect day had turned from fun and bubbly to a mere single shade of gray.

Scott, making his best effort to savor what we had going, approached with a plate.

"Gluten free pancakes?" He offered.

"You know me so well Scooter."

                        *     *     *    

      Everyone had arrived at Esther's house pretty early since we were all used to being punctual people. Instead of taking place in the living room, Esther held the meeting around her polished dining room table, which meant this was serious. She never let anyone sit at the new dining room table.

Scott and I took a seat perpendicular to Esther and Kevin. Avi and Kirstie sat surprisingly close together across from us. What has been going on with those two recently? Esther was about to begin when I felt my phone buzz in my front pocket. I knew this was important, but I had just gotten an update on the new Céline handbags.

"I know for a fact that you haven't been exposed to any type of radiation, so you're face nor your crotch should be glowing, Mitch." I looked up to see Esther giving me a stern look, which was highly intimidating.

I slowly put my phone back into my pocket, my face flushed with embarrassment.

"Proceed." I mumbled

"Okay. I'm sorry to say, but I think we've all realized what this has come to." She paused and I hoped with all my might she wouldn't say it. "We have to cancel the show tomorrow."

I could feel my body deflating as a wave of depression washed over me. I hated cancelling shows more than anyone. And for such a sever reason, that only meant more cancellations were to come. I didn't have much time to sulk before there was a knock at the door.

"I'll get it!" Scott yelled jumping up from his seat.

Scott's POV

   "We have to cancel the show tomorrow."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I looked over at Mitch and saw what I had expected. He sank back in his chair and his face was blank. I knew how much he hated cancelling shows, and seeing him like this just hurt me even more. Across from us, Avi rested his head onto Kirstie's shoulder as she gently rubbed his arm. Those two have been uncomfortably close lately.

There was a knock at Esther's door and I jumped up immediately to get it. Anything to get out of the depressing situation before me.

"I'll get it!" I shouted as I quickly made my way to the door. I reached for the handle and yanked it open to see Genevieve standing there, holding something familiar.

"Hi Scott." She greeted. "I just wanted to let you know that you guys left this beautiful quilt on the bus after the tour, and return it to you."

She held out the quilt to me and I gladly accepted it.

"Thank you so much Genevieve, what would we do without you?" I went to give her a hug, realizing I didn't have to bend down anymore to reach her.

"Hope you guys get this all figured out." She said sympathetically as she stepped off the doorstep.

I shut the door behind me and paced back towards the dining room.

"Mitch, you left this on the bus." I said, tossing the quilt so it settled perfectly over his head.

"Thanks babe." He returned, uncovering himself. "I haven't been able to feel the warmth of this thing since the first night I had it on the bus."

Mitch sat there quietly, as did the rest of us, before he exploded.

"OH MY GOD!!!"