40

We walked in the quiet for a moment. Thankfully, it didn't seem as awkward as usual. Maybe it was because it was dark, or maybe it was because some boundaries had been lifted between us lately. I recalled what he said during dinner suddenly and said,

"Kizumi, your parents..." I trailed off a little. Luckily, Kizumi seemed to know what I was thinking.

"They're never home." He sighed. "It's kind of ridiculous almost."

"What kind of work do they do?"

"Hell if I know anymore...they're kind of all over the place. My dad is invested in different business, manages some companies...and my mom works for the state, so I'm not really sure what she does." He explained. I nodded even though he couldn't see me.

"Oh...do you ever get lonely?" I asked. He paused for a moment before responding.

"Not really." He finally said. "It's just annoying."

"What is? Your parents being gone a lot?" I asked.

"No...just how things are, I guess..." He was silent for a moment, and I thought maybe he wanted to drop the subject, but he continued. "I mean, what I got to do today was so different. I enjoyed eating with you guys."

"...I'm glad." I said as we turned on a street.

"It must be really nice being able to sit down as a family like that..." From the dim moonlight that was shining on us, I could see Kizumi looking ahead sadly. In an instant, I felt my heart sink.

"Well...I know it probably isn't the same thing but...you can always eat dinner with us whenever you'd like." At my words, Kizumi looked over.

"Wouldn't it get tiring for me to come to your house all the time?" He asked.

"Of course not!" I blurted loudly in surprise. "I mean...I...my Mom likes you and all so..." I stuttered over my words trying to think of what to say. I heard Kizumi chuckle a little bit. That was probably the first time I had ever heard him laugh. I wished I could have seen the smile that went with it.

"So you don't mind if I come to your house again, then?" He asked as we got closer to his house. I felt slight disappointment as it came into view.

"Yeah...I don't mind." I spoke quietly. As we walked the last few yards to his house, we were quiet. I stopped at the bottom of the stairs and he started going up. The sensors on his porch light activated and the light came on, illuminating the area. He'd only gone up about two steps when he stopped with his hand on the rail, and turned around to look at me.

"Shirou?" He said. I was half turned away, but I looked over at him.

"Yeah?" I said. He stared at me for a moment, and then shook his head.

"I...never mind. I'll see you at school." He turned around again and walked up the rest of the stairs. I watched him as he placed his hand n the doorknob, then glanced back at me again. I smiled at him, and he continued to look at me. I thought he was going to say something, but he didn't. His hand dropped from he doorknob and he came back down the stairs.

In a matter of seconds I found my lips suddenly entangled with his. His arms wrapped around me as he kissed me. Though my face flushed with embarrassment, I brought my own hands up to his shirt. The only difference between this kiss and the one on Saturday was that I was conscious of what I was doing.

I could have pushed away from him this time...but I didn't. He held me a little tighter as we kissed for a couple seconds longer. When he pulled away and let me go, we stared at each other for a moment. This boy who stood in front of me had been an enemy only a month ago. Now, here I stood in front of his house, kissing him in the dim porch light at night on the street.

It was absolutely ridiculous...I thought there was never anything else to him, but I was so wrong that I felt somewhat ashamed. I never thought this boy, who used to make me so angry, could make me fall in love so much.

...I had actually, finally fallen for him.

"Tomorrow, then." He smiled again, and I felt tears beginning to sting my eyes slightly.

"Tomorrow." I agreed.