xvii; i recognize that meme!

"To love is to destroy, and to be loved is to be the one destroyed." — The City of Bones, Cassandra Clare
___
Dan couldn't sleep with the new information raging on in his conscience. Phil's friend, the Detective, was in the hospital. God knows why he felt guilty, but he did, and he was scared about it. He refused to waste his money flying back, so he was trying to get his mind off of it by watching his favourite movie, High School Musical. All while he kept thinking of a drunken Phil who had slept on his couch while he watched it, and revealed a tattoo of Dan's name. He wondered, just maybe, if the ink still stained Phil's back like a constant reminder of his mistake.

A mistake Dan had made too. A mistake that left him wildly searching for the missing pieces of his soul.

His movie was paused now as his head lay in his hands, regret coursing through him so vicsiously that it could have cut his very veins. He coughed, let a sigh leave his lips, and reached for the glass of ginger ale on his table. This was going to be a God awful night, he knew.

Tilting his head towards his buzzing phone, he eyed Alice's contact warily.

"Movie night, wanna come? -Alice in Wonderland"

Mack had changed her contact from 'Alice' to that, and frankly, Dan liked it the way it was now. He exhaled, picking up the mobile device and texting a reply.

"Sure, be over in ten. -You"

___

Lukas was utterly quiet in the white hospital room. His whole body felt sick, heart pounding, head swarming with unwanted scenarios. He was sitting in a chair, watching Isaac intentively, looking sad. Isaac looked the same as he had when he had shown up at Lukas' house earlier that day. His head, still against the white pillow, was an utter mess. His face was too pale, curly hair too curly, eyes closed like they had been stuck together with glue.

Lukas only took a short moment to breathe before his breaths turned staggered again. His chest rose and fell at an alarming rate, terror flooded over his features. Isaac could die. Maybe this was what love felt like; pain.

He let his eyes close, then open when the door did the same.

"Phil?" He finally asked, but he felt a small grip secure around his wrist. When he angled his head, Estella-Marie, the youngest Køhler, stood delicately in front of him.

"The nice nurse lady let us bring in a dog, can you believe that?" Estella exclaimed, "Philly drove us!" She added as an afterthought. Before Lukas could get a word into the conversation, Holmes had scrambled on in, barking and going straight to peer at the bed.

He licked Isaac's face, shocked when his owner didn't respond like he usually did, and sat back onto the ground. He lifted his muzzle, like he understood, and gave a whine.

Kiara came in with Phil a minute later, looking slightly horrified. "Luke?" She asked, "A-are you okay?" She stammered, sounding breathless.

"Now that you're here? I'm better."

"What about me?" Isaac suddenly defended, breathless and raspy. "I think you should feel great when I'm around."

"You're a piece of shi-Shia-" Lukas sighed.

"That last one was a meme!" Phil exclaimed proudly. "I caught that reference."

Kiara groaned.

"Shut up!"