Old Earth

I screamed for about 30 feet. Or thought I did. It turned out Jack was screaming. Was I the one laughing? No, that was the Doctor. I wasn't making any noise. It looked like I was. My mouth was open and I was staring at the quickly approaching ground. I looked at the Doctor. He turned his head, laughing harder at my expression. When I looked at Jack, it wasn't a frightened scream that was erupting from him. He was smiling. Apparently, he was just as insane as the Doctor.

We were coming very close to the ground. I shut my eyes, preparing for impact. I hit the ground and bounced.

I slowly opened my eyes, wondering why I wasn't dead yet. I dangled on the rope, a foot off of the ground.

"Oh."

The rope had been long enough to get us close to the ground, but short enough to not let us hit it. Jack and the Doctor had already untied themselves. Jack knelt next to me and began untying the rope. He spoke quietly so the Doctor wouldn't hear him. "Bad driver, not a bad estimator."

I put my knee down as the rope loosened and flopped next to me. I looked above us and saw how far the TARDIS was from us. "Wow," I breathed.

Jack pulled me by my elbow and lifted me up. The Doctor was already wandering around. He was listing off the oddities of the land, trying to identify where and when we were. "Lessee, large trees, obviously. Uh, dusty ground, speckling of grass, but just around the tree. Hm."

He got onto his knees, sniffing the ground. He stuck out his tongue and licked the dirt. 

"Ew," I said, cringing. "Doctor, what are you doing?"

"Identifying the time period based on chemicals in the soil. Seems like a very new planet. Huh, well that narrows it down."

I looked around the desolate planet at the sparse fauna and large... reptiles? "Uh, Doctor?"

"Hm?" He didn't look up.

"I think I know where... and when... we are."

He shot up. "What? How?"

I pointed at the huge lizard lumbering towards us. "By the dinosaur."

Jack nudged the Doctor. "I think you may have a competitor."

The Doctor rolled his eyes and strolled towards me. "Alright, if your so intelligent on the whens and wheres of the universe, what era is it?" He gave me a smug smile.

I pouted my lips and gave a side long glance at the dinosaur. "I'd say... Jurassic."

The Doctor didn't look impressed.

I looked back at the dinosaur. "I would assume at least from the size of the dinosaur, the lack of many types of birds in the trees. I mean, the dinosaurs are well developed and large in size. However, not many mammals yet, and these dinosaurs are still pretty early examples. I mean, that's a brontosaurus. Those sort of peaked in the Jurassic era."

I turned back to the Doctor. This time, he was impressed. His mouth was open and Jack was silently laughing, patting the Doctor on the back. "You can't always be the smart one, Doctor," Jack teased.

The Doctor just shook his head. "Well, we know the when and where. Now we need the why."

"Why?" I wasn't sure where he was going with this.

"The TARDIS always has a reason for us to be at a certain place. We always have to just figure out why."

I looked around. Jack had finally recovered and was now investigating with us. It was when the large ship  hovered and landed in a grove of trees about a mile away from us that we had a small idea of the why.

"Great," Jack said. "An invasion of a developing planet. What rule does that break, Doctor?"

The Doctor smacked his forehead. "Section eighteen."

Jack nodded. "We have why we're here. Let's find out why they're here." 

'Yay', I thought to myself. 'Dinosaurs and aliens. Now that's a book idea.'