As It Begins

I clicked out of the house, trying my best not to wobble on my new heels. Not brand new, but it was the first time I had worn them. 

I looked out of place in the outside world. A writer, I didn't leave often enough to know the etiquette of worldly living. My only outside travels were for groceries, or inspiration. And, rarely, book sales. I didn't leave often because each time I experienced the outside world, I felt depressed to realize the excitement I had always wanted out of life only existed in books. 

'The life of a writer is a sad one,' I would often type into my un-viewed blog. 'It allows the mind to wander,  to find a better place, but it is only momentary. Then reality must be realized, and existence questioned.'

I stumbled up to the building where I would finally follow my father's advice and "apply for a job before you become a bump on the log to this family". I stepped in and immediately noticed the silence. Not a single person stood in the lobby checking their watch. No one mingled near the built in cafe. Not a single secretary was answering phones. And not a single phone was ringing.

"Strange," I murmured. "I could have sworn the outside world was supposed to make me social." I smiled at the irony and walked to the elevator. Shuffling through my purse, I looked for the address of the room. "Fifth floor." The door glided open and I shuffled inside, doing my best not to trip over the kink in the linoleum, to no avail. 

I pressed the little silver "5" and leaned back against the wall, sighing. The small elevator smelled of gun powder and electricity. I crinkled my nose. "What else could go wrong today?" 

The elevator doors clicked shut. There was a small whine, and the elevator shifted upwards. After three seconds of smooth sailing, a long groan echoed out of the shaft. My eyebrows came together, and quickly spread apart and lifted as the elevator nearly slingshot itself down. Through the chaos of lessened gravity and grinding metal, I managed to scream out, "WELL, THE ELEVATOR COULD DECIDE TO KILL ME!" 

The elevator seemed to crumple a bit as it hit the last level. I was slapped against the floor, and slowly looked up. I crawled on hands and knees, afraid the elevator might try some new type of potential homicide, and pressed the button to open the doors.

Nothing happened. 

I got up slowly, keeping my hands against the wall. I knocked slowly on the door, and continued to knock, slowly growing louder and more desperate. Finally, I began banging on the door, yelling, "Can anybody hear me? Let me out!" 

The doors sunk back into their places, exposing a dark parking garage. "That's better," I said, pushing my hair out of my face. I walked through the garage, listening to my shoes tap against the concrete. "Hello?" I shrugged. "Anyone here?"

There was a clash, followed quickly by a loud zapping noise. I followed the wrong instinct and rushed toward the sound. From around a corner, I heard someone yelling, "You know the rules! According to section seven of the Shadow Proclamation- ow!" There was another crash.

I stepped around the corner and were greeted by a large- "This conglomeration isn't allowed to be here!" -conglomeration of squid-like blobs. Some were in opened metal shells, others hung from the ceiling in sacks, and some were appearing out of a humming machine and being placed into shells by other squid-like blobs.

Something nudged my back. I turned around to see the shell of one of the blobs completely closed. It looked like a hovering salt shaker. An electronic voice ejected from the salt shaker. "I have brought the chosen one. Do not exterminate the chosen one." The salt shaker prodded me forward. I turned around and looked into the room. The man that had been yelling was up on a box, a strange glowing tube in his mouth.