First to the Top, First to the Bottom

We mingled with the large crowd as it gathered around the still unlit tower of steel that pierced the sky. People mumbled and chattered. Most of the people were very highly regarded officials, but some were wealthy families, or even lucky visitors. I kept glancing around, wondering when someone would question our presence. Or, more likely, our large blue box that had appeared out of nowhere and made quite a bit of a racket. 

I finally broke down under the stress and leaned over to the Doctor. "Why is no one curious about us, or the big blue box we just landed." I paused, listening to the conversation. "And why are they all speaking English?"

The Doctor gave a small laugh, patting me on the back. "Just the TARDIS looking out for us." He laughed a bit more at my confused expression, his hand resting on my shoulder.

"Yeah, well," I started, brushing his hand off of my shoulder, "That doesn't really answer my question."

He shook his head. "Another time. But for tonight, you're in France! And Sophie is a beautiful name in any language, especially French." He looked at me in a way I could only identify as happiness. But he had seen things far better than the lighting of the Eiffel Tower, like nebula's, and super novas, the birth and death of planets... I would assume, at least...

"But my name's not Sophie," I mumbled. Looking around the gathering once more, I noticed something odd about some of the people. I checked to see if Jack or the Doctor had noticed, but Jack was conversing with two French girls (of course) and the Doctor was standing beside me with a sligtly excited look on his face. "Doctor?" 

He smiled at me. "Hm?"

I glanced at the two people who had looked odd and quickly looked down before whispering, "Those two gentlemen over there, with the grey jackets?"

I saw him look around before spotting them. "Yeah, what about them?" He was still smiling.

"There's something wrong with their eyes." I still had my sight trained on the ground.

"Could you be more specific?"

"The irises. Their... black."

He took on a scolding tone. "Now, Sophia, you know that that can be normal. Many people have black irises. Well, more like a very dark brown, but it is still considered black by many."

"No, Doctor you dont't understand!" I grabbed his wrist, inclining my head towards the two men. "Those eyes. Aren't. Human."

The Doctor threw on his cheeky grin. "That's all I needed to hear." He looked up as they announced that the delegated people and reporters would now be making the ascent of the tower. 

We paused, watching as the two men began walking towards the group that would be ascending. The Doctor reached into an inside pocket, grabbing my hand as he began to pull me through the crowd towards the group. He whispered quickly to me as we walked. "Don't say anything, let me do all the talking. We'll follow them, see if they're up to anything. If I tell you to run, you run. If I tell you to stay, I swear, you better stay." He looked straight at me as he said the last part. "I don't need you doing something stupid."

"What could I possibly do that's stupider than following tow aliens up a just finished tower that at this time in history is the tallest man made building?" I knew what he was going to say before he did.

"Well, you could fall off of a just finished tower that at this time in history is the tallest man made building."

I dropped my head a bit. We were about to step onto the tower as a man popped up and said, "Where do you think you're going?"

The Doctor pulled out a pad of paper from his pocket, flashing it to the man as he quickly spouted, "John Smith, head reporter for the... Main... Paper... Corporation..... And this is my assistant! Elijah... Bo." I smiled as pleasantly as possible.