Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Her name was Mirai . It meant future however whenever she sat and thought about the meaning of her name she couldn't help but laugh at the irony of it all. Her name was future yet in her eyes and everyone else's she didn't have one.

She wondered what people were doing in Ikebukuro , a few months ago she met someone from there on the internet , his name was Nakura. At first she found the person she was talking to mischievous however she felt even more curious  about Ikebukuro. She wondered whether no one would know her there? Whether she could actually become invisible? Or maybe even be a part of something great? Perhaps she could even go to those adventures Nakura always talked about?

Ikebukuro haunted her every thought for the past month and she dedicated herself to plan her escape from her misery . She would stash her allowance in her drawer and save until she had enough for an apartment or at least a hotel. She had even gotten a job in hopes of having enough money to go to Ikebukuro, she would work non stop wishing for her dream of a brighter future come true.

She didn't want her past to haunt her anymore , all she wanted was a new start to be in a place where no one knew about her. Maybe even have a happy life for once.Nakura said that if she went there he would help her even if she found it hard to believe she still decided to have a bit of faith in people for once.

She sighed looking at herself in the mirror feeling nothing but disgust as she heard her mother calling her in an all too sweet tone of voice " Mirai dinner's ready" she instantly knew just from her tone of voice that guests had arrived . She groaned making her way down the long never ending staircase .

She picked at her food with her fork as their voices echoed around her not a single one being noticed by her . " mirai!" Her mother yelled as she snapped back noticing her mothers furious glance " yes , mother?" She asked in a monotone voice as her mothers voice soothed ' only because there are guests' Mirai thought .

" Mirai , darling our fellow guests were asking you how school was going?" Mirai sighed not wanting to talk about the place " mirai?" Her mother asked snapping her back to reality once again " oh um it's going well.." She said giving them all a fake smile.

" well is an underestimate she has amazing grades and just marvelous friends, isn't that right dear?" Her mother looked at her insisting for her daughter to go on with her lie. "Um .. Yeah I guess I forgot to mention that?" She covers her frustration with a fake smile as her mother nods in approval.

A frown sets upon her face with every single day that goes by she feels herself losing who she truly is leaving the facade her mother has forced onto her . She stares at her food losing her appetite, she was tired of being so fake . Mirai got lost deep in thought thinking that maybe even her own mother prefers the picture perfect girl Mirai pretends to be more than Mirai herself.

She stood up going up the long staircase her thoughts clouding her mind. She shut the door sliding down the wall holding her knees to her chest . She doesn't even remember who she truly was before all of this. " Mirai are you okay?" Mirai glared at the ground . Turns out she's not the only one with a facade  here.

" Mirai get down and aplogize inmediatley" her mother said in a low growling voice as Mirai just held her knees closer to her chest ." Now or else you'll regret it once they're gone" She kept silent gazing at nothing , not hearing a single word her mother says. She covers her ears with her hand wishing her thoughts would stop clouding her , taking over her.

She looks up reaching for her headphones as she plugs them in her phone . The lyrics blast through the headphones as she buries her head in her pillow. Who even is she? Did her parents even want her? Will the voices in her head stop or will they just get louder until her own voice is drowned?

She felt alone .. All she really needed was somebody to hold her and tell her everything would be all right and with each day that passed by she began getting tired of waiting. She slowly felt herself slipping away . She didn't even remember the last time she went outside , her mother never let her leave the house.

She stared at her small window as she saw the beautiful stars gazing down at her . She watched them with admiration wishing she could shine and be free like the little star. She reached her hand out squinting her eyes a bit so it'd look as if the star were in the palm of her hand. She smiled slightly at the thought of holding something so beautiful. Even if she wasn't truly holding it she felt a hint of happiness by the mere thought of it.

" i'll find you my beautiful star someday and once I do i'll never let go ." she quietly muttered to no one in particular

She could hear someone getting closer to her small room. She closed her eyes now wishing she would have just gone down to apologize . Mirai waited for the sound of keys and her door unlocking feeling anxious. She stood up and hid in her closet , she knew her mother would eventually find her but she still hoped that if she closed her eyes she'd be somewhere else . Perhaps even with her precious star , the star she so badly wanted to find.

She cringed hearing her mother's angered voice outside her bedroom door " I warned you but you didn't listen now you'll be punished " She slid down the back of the closet holding her knees to her chest feeling tears well up in her eyes.

" Open the door now!" She closed her eyes feeling the tears fall out of fear and regret . She heard the sound of her steps getting fainter as she let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.  She felt .. Hope maybe her dream of disappearing had come true but she realized that'd never happen. She'll always be stuck in this hole . Even if she tried to escape she'd be trapped back , the thought of going to Ikebukuro seemed to slightly fade as reality hit her.

She soon heard foot steps coming closer along with the sound of keys. Mirai gasped as she closed her eyes knowing what was next. " Now where could have she gone now?" She could see the evil grin on her mother's face . " I know why don't I check her closet?" She could see her mother chuckling humorlessly.

The door swung open as tears began freely falling out . " Please mother no" her mother chuckled at her words as she grabbed her by her hair and dragged her out. Mirai winced in pain as her mother slapped her across the cheek." I told you this is what happens when you disobey me" She grinned as she raised her by her hair, mirai couldn't feel the floor anymore as she felt more tears slide down across her cheek.

Her mother dropped her as she tried to crawl away from her mothers grasp only to be stepped on , preventing her from making any sudden movements. Her mother applied more weight as Mirai cried out in pain " stop please! I won't do it again I-I promise!" She felt more weight being applied.

She cried out in pain until she no longer felt pain ,she breathed out in relief as  she crawled towards the wall pulling her knees to her chest. She watched as her mother left her room with a fake smile as if nothing had happened. She sobbed looking at the night sky once more . The star was still shining after everything that had happened .

She reached her hand out once again and whispered " Where are you ? I need you to save me , to take me away from all this pain , to set me free"