Chapter 13

• Dedicated to my aunt with cancer.

"Go hey Lil Mama, I can transform ya, I can’t dance but I can dance on ya, Swizz on the beats, Chris move ya fe-"

Blared the heavy beated song from the Cal's buzzing phone. 'Sis' flashed across the screen in bold black. I shifted in my seat as I contemplated as to whether I had ever met her. Maybe it wasn't sis-ter it could sissy or sally I mused as Calvin snatched his phone violently of the desk and left the room in one swift move after giving me an ineffectual patronising smile. 

As I hummed the words to the song that had played before, I felt my own phone vibrate alerting me that Mick was requesting me in his office.

 "Yo M whats up?" I crooned as he greeted me with a sideways smile. 

"Hows the case?"

"Dead-lead"

"Uhngh, well anyway I want you to attend the masquerade fundraiser ball for USAF on behalf of NYPD, Me, Calvin, Alexis, Peter and you are expected to be there. Bring company... and by company I don't mean your IPOD!"

"Will do! Buga...roo?" I answered after widening my eyes at the scary look on his face.

As many a few excuses ran through my already hectic head, I left the office for lunch. 

 I decided to go home after lunch since I was on flexible hours and didn't want to work anymore. I grabbed my stuff and drove home to relax for the afternoon. I had made plans with Calvin to go out for drinks at a new bar called "MLK'S" (which strangely stood for Martin Luther Kings and was pronounced MILKS) in the night so decided to get some shut eye before tonight. Before changing into a white Cami with the words: "DrINk CoFFeE... and do stupid things faster" imprinted on in brown swirly writing and my "WASSAMATA U" hoodie. Shaking my head at the note on the door that claimed Rosie had gone to the travel agents for a ticket to Bulgaria I jumped onto my big bouncy sofa and switched the TV on before grabbing my phone.

"Hi!"

"Hello gorgeous, how YOU doing?" Answered Kade in a Joey Tribbiani voice. My heart began to thump in my chest at his bold husky voice. Wait? My heart was thumping in my chest? What the hell was I thinking; this wasn't some cliché romance book!

"Uhh I'm just... sorta missing you, I guess." I mumbled.

"Me too... can I see you tonight? let’s go out"

"Sure. Pick me up at seven thirty"

"Cool, I have the perfect place where we could go. Dress casual,"

"Awesome... wait how did you know I would ask that? Anyway I want to ask you something..."                                                                            

 As I drifted into a deep sleep I replayed the two hour conversation I had with Kade. After persuading him to come to the masquerade Ball with me, we just talked randomly about our jobs, family friends my dodgy t-shirts and his twenty-eight pairs of shoes.  

"White lips, pale face

breathing in the snowflakes,

burnt lungs. sour taste.

Light's gone days end

struggling to pay rent"

long nights, strange men....."

 I sang under my breath as I padded around my room refreshed and happily getting ready to go out with Calvin. If I was quick enough I could make it for half seven for my date. I changed into my navy bandeau dress with transperenze tights before slipping on navy KG courts. Calvin let himself in as I shoved my phone into my purse and made my way to the door.