Chapter 17

Tears sprung to my eyes as I watched the one good thing that happened to me in months, years, disappear behind the trees that witnessed my heart rip in two, leaving me feeling me numb, deaf and blind.

But I love him...

He can't leave me here, feeling sick and sorry, standing on the sidewalk like I killed somebody, because I just realised. I love him.

"I'm sorry, I was...that was so wrong of me. To make you choose between me and HIM. Of course I knew you would choose me, I shouldn't have stooped to his level...." Calvin babbled arrogantly but with genuine regret. This prick was going to be the death of me.

"You self centered conceited teenage bitchy jealous ass player of a jerk." I growled as I mentally ticked of his personality. A look of hurt, bewilderment and anger glazed over his blue eyes. There was something else. A different look filled them; rage and gloom and...Something else. The look you get when you sign a contract or complete a case. It looked mental.

Then it hit me.

I just nearly rejected my bubbly loyal happy best friend for a guy. Am I whipped or what? Well it's too late for that.

Still fuming with Cal and an awkward silence looming over us, I dragged myself towards his car since my car was parked far. Cal lay in the back of the car in deep thought as I drove to my car. I wasn't going to apologise. As I parked and jumped out, I considered going to work with Cal and just forgetting everything that happened.

'NO, you’re not going to work with...him....he's such a happiness extinguisher right now. Wow that sounds retarded' I thought.

I left without a word and made my way to my car. As I sat down and leant my head back, I was filled with a sense of serious melancholy and dejection which seeped to my now aching heart. I finally got what I wanted. I was finally alone and the remorse was killing me. "Congrats Skye", you earned your fate. Times like these, I began to think of my parents.

Grief and hurt crept into my eyes in the form of tears and a heavy feeling hit my chest as I dialled Mick.

" 'Lo." mumbled my boss in a hushed but inattentive tone.

"Hey boss, umm I don't think I'll be getting to work anytime soon. In fact...I send me the paperwork, I'm taking a break." I murmured without letting any traces of emotion into my sullen voice.

"Hey Skye... that's not good enough. You've been slacking lately and though I prefer it when you don't become obsessed with cases, this is not good enough. We are on a major case and I need you to buck up, even if your PMS'ing, and deal with it."

"You have no choice, send me the paperwork"

"Forget the paperwork you're sacked."

"On what grounds?" I growled in a rage.

"On...on...ummm slacking." he mumbled nervously.

"That's not gonna hold up in court. Also I'm not PMS'ing, I've just started my freaking period." I screamed in a fit of teenage rage before hanging up. I just totally screamed (and lied) at my boss about my current state and condition. If you catch my drift. Tears ran down my face like the Niagara falls was flooding.

It took me a few minutes to realise I'd arrived at my apartment and even then I entered in a haze. I knew where I was headed though; my bedroom. Didn't my bed look so good right now? Except I realised too late that my bedroom was the wrong place to be.  

There were photos. Everywhere.

What's more, I felt like tearing every photo of Cal off of the wall behind me. I was being so typical. Day off work so I could wallow in self-pity, realising I was in love four minutes after my relationship ends, talking casually about my time of the month and soon eating ice cream with a SACK of warm waffles would add to the list. Typical me. Alone again.