The Sea Witch

16. The Sea Witch

In which things get a little wet and wild...

(Possible trigger warning: references to Cory at the very end of the chapter)

"How did it go?" Froggy asked, when Chris, Darren, Kurt, and Blaine returned to the flying ship.

"Fine," Chris answered, with a quelling look at the others. "Our trip was completely uneventful."

"Did you get the mirror?" Rachel asked.

"Yep," Darren said proudly, holding up the purse. "All of the pieces are in here."

"Oooh - can I see?" Unique asked.

Darren opened the purse so that she could look inside.

"Wow - with that sparkle and my gold, this Wand of Wonderment is gonna have some serious bling!"

"Speaking of bling," Chris said, "we need to get the Sea Witch's jewels next."

"I hope this ship is sea-worthy," Rachel said, concern evident in her voice.

"Don't worry," Froggy said, wrapping an arm around her, "I'm sure it is."

...

The flying ship hit the water with an almighty splash, drenching everyone on board.

Darren shook his head like a wet dog. "Wow - that was better than Splash Mountain at Disneyland!" he cried.

Most of the others looked at him like he was crazy, but Chris tousled his curls affectionately. "I'm glad you're having fun, sweetie."

Rachel pointed over the side of the ship. "Look!"

Chris gazed down over the railing to see a familiar face smiling up at him. "Brittany!"

"Hello, dolphin," the Little Cheermaid called out happily. "I see you brought along some more gay sharks this time."

Darren, Kurt, and Blaine waved down at her, grinning.

Santana popped up next to Brittany and gave her a kiss. Then, catching sight of her audience, she dove back down under the water, only to reappear a moment later. She surged powerfully upwards, propelling herself completely clear of the waves.

Darren gasped. "Wow, Santana! You've got a tail!"

"No shit, Sherlock."

Brittany beamed at her girlfriend, who continued to show off her new aquatic skills. "The Fairy Godfather turned Santana into a Cheermaid, so we can be together forever."

"Wait," Froggy said, confused. "How come I turned back into a frog when the Fairy Godfather was put into a cursed sleep by the Enchantress, but Santana didn't turn back into an ordinary human?"

"Yeah," Rachel added. "And why didn't you just fall asleep when she kissed you?"

"Why is the square root of four equal to rainbows?" Brittany replied. "I guess we're just magic that way."

"Or maybe the Enchantress's curse only effects the land, not the sea," Santana said, wrapping her arms around Brittany from behind and nuzzling into her neck.

"Does that mean that Chris and I can kiss if we get in the water?" Darren asked excitedly.

Santana was quick to discourage him. "I wouldn't risk it. We don't know of any humans who've tried, and if you fell asleep in the ocean, you'd drown."

Darren visibly deflated, as did the others. They'd all gotten their hopes up for a moment.

Chris decided to change the subject. "So, Santana, how are you enjoying being a Cheermaid?"