Chapter 10

To be honest, I probably should've been more involved in my own father's funeral. Everyone respected the fact that it was just too hard for me. Not to mention no one even knew who I was, being that Dad's side of the family was around even less than my mom's. It was all his friends and maybe a few coworkers I actually knew.

Outside, right before we got in the limo to go back home, I saw Michele walking out. I decided I should probably talk to her since I didn't get the chance to.

I approached her suddenly and she literally slipped off the sidewalk. "Hey Michele, sorry, I just wanted to say thank you for coming when I'm sure you're super busy."

"Of course." She smiled, smoothed out her dress, and hugged me briefly. "I'm just glad you're handling this so well. You're a very strong young lady."

I gave her a frail smile, it was all I had. "You too. And, I know Austin has nothing to do with this, but how's he doing? I thought I'd be'd be out of the hospital by now."

"Long road of recovery. He's fine. He'll probably be released tomorrow."

"Okay. Tell him I said hi and I'm looking forward to seeing him."

"He wanted to be here to support you, I'm sure. How are you? Where are you staying?"

I looked at the limo and saw Blake impatiently staring at me next to it. "Oh, I've been with Blake. It's nice. Different from what I'm used to, but still nice. I'm sure you've been just as stressed as me lately."

"It's definitely very stressful. I'm glad you're holding up this well."

"Oh, I have a quick question."

"Yes?" She smiled.

"When I left the hospital, I heard Austin say something about not making it. We were kicked out right after that, so I couldn't ask. What was that about?"

She seemed to hesitate a little before she finally answered. "All of the medications made him a little loopy, he somehow got the idea that he wouldn't make it in his head. He's fine, don't worry."

"Yeah, I kinda figured once I invited you to come to this and you accepted. You wouldn't have come if something happened to him. That made me feel a little better."

"I'll make sure he gives you a call as soon as he can. He told me he misses you."

I smiled. "I miss him too." I missed him so much, actually. I didn't know it was possible to think about someone so much.

I looked down at my phone. I got a text from an unknown number.

Unknown: Brinley?

"Well, I'm sure you need your space. I'll see you soon for sure. Just remember I'll always be around."

"Thank you again for coming."

"No problem. Bye."

I walked off feeling ten times better. This funeral's over, Austin's okay. I can finally start my "new life".

In the car, Blake asked me what Michele said. He was so concerned with what was going on with Austin, and for some reason, that made me really happy.

The car hit a few bumps in the road. "He should be released tomorrow,"
I explained.

"And what about what he said, what about that? Is he alright, was he just nervous, was something wrong?"

My eyes widened and I shook my head. "Woah, chill out, he's fine. He was just on meds, he stressed himself out."

Blake rubbed his face with his hands briefly and then sat back further against the chair. "He stressed me out too."

"We're all stressed. That's why I'm in a limo zooming away from my father's dead corpse, cause I don't need more stress. What happens to him from here is something I want no part in."