Chapter 11

**

"Alright, talk."

I had waited a while, but eventually decided to talk to Cole about everything. I entered his room without him even knowing, while he was laying across his couch looking through his bags of things.

He smiled at me and stood up from his couch as soon as he saw me. "I see you've let yourself into my room. Talk about what?"

I crossed my arms. "Austin. How do you know him, why's he gonna lie, and why the hell do you give a shit?"

"Rich kids are always friends with other rich kids. I live in Miami, he lives in Miami. That's that."

"And what's he gonna lie about?"

He walked towards me. "What's the point of telling you if you won't believe me anyway?"

"You've got me curious," I said, a little more quietly and calmly. I decided the best way to get this out of him is to let him hear what he wants.

"Huh. If I could count how many times girls have said that to me-"

"No, Cole, I don't have time for your little whore stories, I wanna know about Austin, because he's all I care about."

Seriously, I really only cared about him at this point. It was like everything and everyone else in the world didn't exist, or they were completely irrelevant.

"You seem to really care about my brother, too. Which is surprising, cause you seem like a really selfish girl."

"And you seem like an arrogant, brainless meat bag that thinks he can get me to do whatever he says because he's good looking."

He stepped even closer, as I took steps backwards towards the wall. "So you admit it. I'm attractive."

"Take away your face, and you've got nothing, buddy."

That stupid, stupid smile. It was on his face still. It always was. "I've gotta say the same thing for you, Brin. You think you're intimidating? You're like 5'4, you probably can't even pick up a hammer."

"I'm 5'5, and you're stupid."

He kept walking towards me, so subtly and slowly. And at the same time, I walked backwards, until I hit the wall and only stood there.

"Unfortunately, I am. And because of that, I think I like you. But you like to play hard to get. I know you like me." He stood right in front of me, only inches away from my body. I'd be lying if I said he wasn't hot, or that I didn't like it. But at the same time, I hated it. And him.

"I don't like you," I reassured as the anger built up inside of me.

He reached and touched my arm, then slid his fingers down it until he found my hand. He grabbed onto it and I looked away. "Don't lie to yourself. We both know the truth."

"I just met you, Cole. I just want Austin."

"Newsflash, Austin doesn't want you."

I turned my head back towards him and stared into his eyes. They were a light brown, I guess it's called amber. "Is that what he's lying about?"

"He's lied and is going to lie about a lot. That's only part of it. Come on, Brin. You're too beautiful to chase an asshole like that."

"Why would he..." I stared at him, thinking about it and the whole situation. "Are you lying to me?"

He squinted at me and simply shook his head. "Tell me why the hell I would do that."

"I don't know, you're weird."

"The fact of the matter is, you're in a vulnerable position and he's taken advantage of that. You're friends with my brother, I heard some things you might not like, and I decided to tell you. Our personalities just... Don't collide nicely. But I'm not lying."

"Cole, if I find out you're lying to me-"

"Brinley, come on. I'm not lying to you. If you believe me, you won't regret it. Being with me will change your life. I'll show you so many things you've never seen, I'll take you places you've never been."

"But-"

"Trust me," he said quietly. "It's that simple, just trust me."

I only looked at him. I thought about it, debating whether I should believe him or not. Then I made my decision, and stood by it. I slapped that boy across the face and picked up a baseball bat he had next to his door. "Tell me what's going on before I knock your goddamn head off of your goddamn body."

He held his cheek and sat back down on his couch. "So much anger for such a tiny body." I watched him light a cigarette and hold it between his fingers, gazing towards me through the corner of his eyes. "Where are my manners? Would you like one?" He asked me after a full 30 seconds of silence between us.

"Answer me," I demanded while walking at him.

"You're not scary, I really hope you realize that. Besides," he sighed, "you wouldn't anyway."

"I wouldn't?" I tightened up my grip on the bat and lifted it up.

"No." Cole ran his left hand through his hair and smoked that cigarette with his other. He blew the smoke out, making me cough and swat it away.

I swung the bat and knocked over a trophy he had on a table. It fell over, dead, and shattered into pieces.

He looked at it for a while, then looked up at me. You could see the anger in his face, the way his breathing pattern changed, the tenseness of his whole body. "That was my football trophy."

"Fuck you, and fuck football. Fuck your trophy. Fuck your cigarette, fuck your fake smile, fuck your horrible personality. Fuck you, Cole."

He stood up and got into my face. "I'm sure you'd love to."

I used both hands to shove him away from me. "You know, I've been secluded from people my whole life, and when I finally get to go out and live on my own, I meet you. I don't want this. I certainly don't want you, so how about this: you come talk to me when you're done being an asshole."

"Come on, you like assholes. Why else would you like Austin? Or my brother?"

"Because they've got even a little bit of genuineness, which you don't have."

Cole backed up a little with his arms open. "Then hit me. Let out your anger, fuck me up, then maybe you'll realize I'm only trying to help."

"Yourself. Only trying to help yourself. And if I did hit you, you better not run off telling Blake about it."

"Let's turn this around, cause you seem to think that you've got the upper hand in this. I've got hands, I've got arms. Pretty muscular ones. What makes you think I can't hit you?"

"You're stupid, Cole, but not that stupid."

"Don't underestimate me, Brin. You try something, and I mean anything, and I swear on my whole life, you'll regret it. You're a bitch, you-"

"I've heard it all before. I'm a bitch. I know. I can't even describe what you are. But you've certainly got a shit personality. Physically threatening me? Seriously? You're never gonna find someone who genuinely likes you. Your own brother doesn't even like you, I don't like you. Fuck yourself, and your huge ass ego."

He tilted his head and his neck cracked. His arms were crossed, tense from the anger that started to progress. "Get out of my room."

"My room's just across from yours. Unless you wanna explain this shit to me, don't come to me if you need me. For anything. Literally." I picked up the bat and threw it at him before slamming the door behind me. "Anything!" I yelled from the hallway.

A/N

Someone put this girl on meds before she murders someone