Chapter 12

**

I left in the middle of the night to do whatever the hell I wanted to do. I didn't even really remember actually, I just know it was 2am and I was in a state of depression. My life, at this point, felt worthless. After weeks without my father's guidance, or mere presence, I️ began to lose hope for myself. So, I️ left. I️ went out one night when everyone was asleep to hopefully find some peace. With only a t-shirt, pajama shorts, and slippers on, I walked down the street holding some money in my hand. Just in case.

I guess it never really phased me that I had no real intentions on where exactly I️ planned to go, or what I️ planned to do. I continued to walk, passing by people and cars who had late night jobs or were just bored at 2 in the morning.

I think Blake had heard about Cole and me not being best friends like he wanted a couple days later, and he got pissed off. He told me the least I could do was try and pretend to like him, but I wanted no part in it. Then Cole came in and told Blake about every incident we had in the past week and a half that he had been around. I don't know what it is about him—he just gets me so worked up and angry. He knows exactly how to get under my skin. I had thrown some of his things out of the window one day, and later on threatened him with a knife. I wouldn't actually do it, I think, but sometimes you have to threaten him in order for him to back down. The thing was, Blake didn't need to know all of this. It was between Cole and me. But, I was called insane. It basically went:

"You're not trying. At all."

"Yes I am!" I yelled. "It hasn't even been two weeks, I'm still adjusting!"

"Brin, I know this is a lot, but you can't go around trying to kill people!" Blake yelled back. "Seriously, if you're arrested, we're all getting in trouble, cause I'm legally not even allowed to watch you since you're not 18, and I'm not your legal guardian. So chill out. I can get you a therapist if you need-"

"No, Blake, I'm fine! I'm just stressed!"

"I get that, but you can't threaten my brother and try to use a bat to fucking murder him."

Victoria looked up from her phone. "Give her a break, she wouldn't have actually done it. And Cole deserves it."

Cole came out of nowhere and wrapped his arms around me. This is what he does—he drives me crazy and then acts like we're friends. "Don't forget when you threw my shit out of a window."

I grabbed his arms and tried to pry them off of me, but he's so goddamn strong. He laughed as I struggled and so I lifted up my leg behind me to kick him where it hurts to let me go.

"You threw stuff out of a window?" Blake asked, looking back and forth between me and Cole. "Brinley... I know for damn sure you weren't like this before everything happened. It's mental stuff, you're getting worse every day."

I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes. "It's like... having the sibling I never wanted. I'm fine."

"No, seriously. Your whole personality changed. You're acting like a child."

"Maybe cause I'm still a child, okay?"

"She also threatened me with a knife."

My eyes shot to Cole. "Would you stop? I think he gets it."

"She told me not to tell. But I only want to better her mental health." His fake smile, I swear on my entire life, it's the most annoying thing to ever exist. "She's depressed."