Chapter 1: New People

Skylar's POV

Having to live your life in fear is something I would never wish on my greatest enemy. Having to be mentally and physically abused by someone who knows every flaw and insecurity you have takes a toll on the mind and body. Someone who shared the same womb as you once upon a time. Someone you despise calling your brother. Knowing that you have to live by a set of standards the Lord didn't give you with the consequences of being abused is truly terrifying. 

I get beaten for everything I do that doesn't live up to his expectations from not doing the dishes or an outfit that he does not approve of. Every task I do, I do it in fear and with caution because I could get seriously hurt if I make a mistake.

I have so many scars on my body that I've forgotten what the word beautiful means. I used to live up to thinking of myself that way, but now I'm just a stranger in my own body. 

The first time I was abused was when I caught him having sex with one of my close friends in my bedroom. We were both screaming and shouting at each other, but I had no fear in my body until he raised his hand at me. There was so much blood and scraps of my clothing decorating my room that if a picture was taken of me before and after, I would be unrecognizable. He let his own anger blind him that he hardly realized how bad he had hurt me. 

The morning after, however, he claimed to have been oblivious to what happened. The tears that were in his eyes as he surveyed the bruises and cuts on my body fooled me to thinking he meant well. He devoted the rest of his time the next week and a half to try and "make it up to me," and I was stupid enough to believe him. It's been a year and a half since that gruesome night happened and I still cry thinking about it.

Five hours. Five hours of freedom during a 24-hour period is all I get nowadays. There's nothing more I look forward to in life than to enjoy that tiny amount of time I have away from him. I'm a slave in my own house. There's nothing I can do to try and escape from this nightmare. After the first time of his physical abuse towards me, he assumed that I was going to immediately leave, he installed a tracking device somewhere on my body. I haven't the slightest clue as to where it could be, so I can't get it removed. 

My name is Skylar Jones, and welcome to the hell I call my life. 

Later that day -

"Skylar! Get yo ass down here before I come get you!" He screamed from downstairs. Due to his prolonged violence towards me, my mind has always been on alert, so hearing his yell scared me out of the quick nap I was enjoying. I had no idea what he wanted, and if he came up here to tell me, then it would follow with yet another beating, and I was not looking forward to another one. As quickly as I could, I got out of my bed and carefully made my way downstairs. Upon seeing me in his presence, he pointed to the door and said,"It's five. I want you out in no less than ten minutes or you not leaving at all today." Suddenly I realized why I took my nap in the first place. Now I can finally leave. With hidden joy, I nodded my head to him, and quickly made my way back upstairs.

When I got back in my room, I quietly closed the door and let the smile I was holding back break free. Everyday, I anticipate this. I need this. But it also haunts me. Freedom is placed on a sliver platter in front of me, but this tracking device he has in me is keeping me from tasting it. I try not to think about it too much and just enjoy my time, but when ten o'clock comes rolling around, that's all I ever think about.