Chapter 13

"What's with the whispering?" I hear Shawn say behind me. He doesn't wait for an answer before he sits down beside me. My friends just stare at him while he tries to talk to me.

"Have you told them about our dat-," he tries again.

"I'm leaving," I interrupt him. I wasn't going to talk to him and my friends weren't being much help with trying to get him to go away.

"Aren't you going to finish your lunch?" he asks as I get up.

"No," I snap.

"Why? Aren't you hungry?"

"No, I just need coffee, seems how someone," I glare at Brit to make my point, "Didn't bring me back my coffee this morning."

"You can grab coffee and come sit with us after," he suggests.

"When hell freezes over."

I walk as calmly as possible out of the cafeteria but I could hear Shawn talking to the rest of the group and as much as I wanted to eavesdrop on their conversation, I couldn't be near him. Once I'm out of sight through the doors I run. I didn't want to take a chance with him following me. At first I was thinking about locking myself in my room for the rest of the day but a better idea came to me.

"I have a secretary for a reason Elizabeth. It's rude to barge in without permission," Gareson looks up from the papers on his desk.

"He's going to take me out of the building," I blurt out. If Shawn was caught taking me out of the building then he won't be able to take me to dinner tomorrow.

"The way he put it, he was going to take you to dinner," Gareson smirks. He knew who I was talking about and my plan so I tried a different tactic getting more stupid by every second.

"That's dangerous. We both got attacked and our attacks are the reason we are retreating. What if something happens to us?" I hope that maybe Shawn or Gareson didn't think about that.

"I'm sure you'll be fine. You both are one of the best. I also know that you never like staying in this place anyways."

Um only to clear my head and I always came back is what I wanted to say but didn't.

"I've already gotten out of here. A month ago. I went to a movie and shopping." I just took away Shawn's leverage.

"You and three others. Elizabeth, we have cameras and we know exactly what you kids did. Plus a month is overtime for you. You could barely last a week without leaving."

This made me smile because Shawn just got his leverage taken away. But my smile fades. What if he was lying about following us? And Gareson was right. A month was a long time for me to be confined in this place. I couldn't get my mind to focus on one thought.

"You sent him to follow us?" I ask, a little hurt that Shawn had lied to me.

"No, that was on his own accord and he doesn't know that we know about that too."

"Great, well now he can't blackmail me. You know everything, so now I can ditch him and he won't have anywhere to go." I wanted to do a victory dance. I didn't have to leave.

"Why don't you like him Elizabeth?" Gareson's voice turned soft. I knew that he was going to lecture me on something I didn't want to hear about.