Chapter 8

Brittany and I walked to Gareson's office. I told the details of why Maddie was crying. Brittany was quiet after that. She had gotten Maddie cleaned up and handed her over to Parker before I got done with my little meeting.

I felt bad for Gareson's receptionist. This was the second time I was going to barge into his office without checking with her first. Brittany, being the goody- two shoes one, said hi and apologized for my rude behavior.

I wait for him to get off the phone before I started talking.

                "Alright, Elizabeth, spit it out." I was expecting him to turn around and face me but he just reclined in his chair and continued gazing out the window.

                "I know you were just pretending to be on the phone so you wouldn't have to talk to me."

                "But that's not the reason you're in here is it."

                "No, we have much more urgent matters in our hand don't we Commander Gareson," Brittany speaks up beside me, her hands on her hips.  The sound of her voice made him turn around.

                "Welcome back Brittany, I am assuming that is why you are here then." Oh he was so smart. Not!

                "Why are you pulling everybody in? I thought you guys had agreed that was the last thing y'all wanted to do. But then there was Elizabeth's attack. First of all, it's normal for little ambushes to happen, especially when there is only one person.  We don't want it to happen but oh well the world isn't perfect which is why we are here. But still. It could just be a fluke."

                "The Russian attack was not a fluke Ms. Jackson."

                "How do you know? They could have just been getting too far over they're head."

                "And succeeding? I don't think so."

                "Yes, they succeeded which is why this is the last thing we should be doing is having the innocent people trying to fix a mess that we should be cleaning up," she was getting frustrated, pacing back and forth.

                "What was it about my attack that is making every bodies panties bunch up?" I ask. I think I deserve my answer.

                "You'll find out Wednesday," Gareson states. 

"That's five days away," I whine.

        "Of course I expect to be present," Brit glares at him. She was going to be there whether she was invited or not.

        "I would expect nothing less of you," Gareson and I had shared the same thought.

        "I still don't see why we are acting so irrational. We never back down," My question was still unanswered. 

                "I'm afraid this problem is out of our hands. It was a decision the council made and we must respect it."

                "They are not always right you know. They shouldn't make the decisions. They are not the ones doing the job. We are and I'm pretty sure we know what's best because we see it every day," Brit argued. I agreed with my friends one hundred percent. They sat behind mahogany desks signing papers while we were risking our lives to save the people they claim to care about.

                "I understand, but like I said we have no say in what they decide," he replies coolly.

                "I don't think you understand, Gareson. You know this is wrong so let me know when you realize that. We'll see you Thursday." I grab Brittany's arm and drag her out of the office. I knew she was going to stand there and argue but I wasn't. We were going to get nowhere standing in an office and arguing.