Meadow descriptive writing (2015)

I walked into the thick forest at the back of my small house. I'd always been curious about what was back there, but my parents had always told me to stay away, just in case there were wolves or something. I always thought it was ridiculous. But now that my parents were away, I could go on an adventure. I glanced back at the old weatherboard house, which was starting to fall apart,vans the ugly yellow paint was peeling. Then, I turned towards the beautiful forest. I knew the forest had to be pretty big, as I had once tried to walk around it, but didn't even get a quarter of the way around the front.

I looked cautiously at every nearby leaf as I stepped past, each a slightly different shade of green from the last. I made sure not to trip on any roots sticking out if the ground, watching every step as thing it could be my last.

Which, I suppose it could.

I wasn't sure how long I'd been walking, staring around at my surroundings, walking in as straight of a line as I could. After all, I didn't particularly fancy the idea of getting lost.

I listened contently to the sound of birds, the rustling of the leaves, pretty much any sound of nature I could hear. Out here, the sound of traffic had disappeared. Roads, stop lights, road signs... All gone. Everything from this point was Mother Nature's doing. People had nothing to do with this.

I kept walking for a little while, glancing back every once in a while, to see if I could see my home. I wasn't sure when my parents would be home, but I left them a note so they wouldn't stress.

"Mum and Dad,

I've gone to Melissa's house. Her power has gone out and she wanted some company. I'm not sure when I'll be home. I've got my phone if you need me.

-Josh."

Melissa is my girlfriend. My parents would understand the predicament, that is, if it was true. I told them the power had gone out so they wouldn't try to call her home phone. Not that they would anyway, but extra measures are good, right?

It had gotten to a point where I had to push branches away because the forest had gotten so thick. A few sharp leaves scraped my bare arms and I knew I'd gotten some leaves stuck in my thick black hair, but I didn't mind.

After a few more branches, I almost decided that I wouldn't find anything, and I should head back home. But I slowly noticed that the branches had thinned back out again, and a few steps later, I found myself in a beautiful clearing.

My first thought was, 'wow, this is cool.' My second thought was, 'I should bring Lissa here on our next date!' Classy. I know.

I knew she'd love it. There were light purple flowers sprayed along the outside of the clearing, and a small pond at the far end.

I stood, awestruck. Small patches of sunlight were channeled in, dodging the tall green trees, some patches were even tinted emerald. The small flowers were pretty, I'll admit.

I slowly sat down at the edge of the clearing, not stepping in any further than I already had, and took my backpack off, sitting it beside me. Gotta be prepared, right?

I slowly took my camera out of my bag, almost as though I was worried I'd scare the clearing away. I turned on the small Kodak and held it up, getting a perfect angle of the clearing, easily pressing down the shutter button.

At that point, I decided I wanted to draw the clearing. I turned off the camera, placing it carefully back into my bag, and pulled out my sketch book, along with a packet of grey leads.

It didn't take long at all to set off to work. I sketched the trees around the outside of the clearing, putting as much detail as I could into every leaf. Next, I drew the pond. I drew the ripples in the crystal clear water, careful not to mess it up.

The wind picked up suddenly, almost causing me to drop my pencil as a few pages flipped over, showing some old sketches of Melissa and other random things. I ran a hand through my hair and kept silent, not wanting to break the beautiful sounds of birds and leaves.

I looked back towards my book, flipping back to my sketch of the clearing. Next was the detail for the forest floor.

I drew some small twigs, scattered mostly around the outskirts of the clearing, and very slowly moved towards smaller details, like the grass and flowers.

Once I as done with my drawing, I held it up to compare it with the real thing. I smiled slightly, then a creative idea popped into my mind.

Maybe I should draw Melissa.

I smiled like an idiot for a second as I thought about my beautiful girlfriend. Quickly erasing a small bit of detail from the forest floor, towards the outer part of the clearing, slowly and carefully I set off to drawing a kneeling figure, picking the beautiful flowers on the edge of the meadow, making a chain with them.

I smiles softly as her features slowly fell into place. Her golden brown hair was blowing around her face slightly in the wind. Her wide, blue, child-like eyes showed her happiness, as did her wide smile. Her full pink lips were parted slightly, showing her cute chipped tooth. (She went over the handlebars on her scooter. She hates it; I think it's adorable.)

Once I finished her body, and her hands picking at the small flowers and chaining them together, I softly smiled.

I realised I would have to plan a picnic with Melissa out here. She would love it.

I slowly packed my things away, glancing once more to the clearing.

I really hoped I'd be able to find this place again.

I also hoped I could find my way back home.

---

Aww, isn't that cute?

Is there anyone you'd do this for?? Comment!

-Taya.