Chapter 5

“Alisson?” Uncle Kevin said, turning his head to look at me with those eyes widen in slight shock. But he’s smiling, so I guess that he’s shocked in a positive way.

I nodded simply and giving back that smile. Though deep inside, I really don’t know how to do that job or how that works. I’m used to working as a cashier girl, a waitress and all that but in the field of music, my mind’s empty with ideas about it.

Next thing I knew was, Uncle Kevin was in front of me, shaking my hand as if he’s congratulating me. For what?

“That’s perfect. I’ll tell the band’s manager immediately so you can start working! And don’t worry, I have your back so you can stay in that job whenever you want.” He explained with that happy tone in his voice. Right, I didn’t expect that one coming from him.

“Thanks uncle. I’m really happy for this.” I smiled. It was half-half feeling, like I said before. But then again, this is a new chapter of my new life here in SD. It’s like the beginning of everything that’s why I’m really excited to ride in this new roller-coaster of my life.

“I know, I know. I bet you’re looking forward to that. Anyway, I’ll just call the tour manager of that band later and then we’ll see what happens, okay?” He uttered and I nodded simply.

He went upstairs and left me and Madi, staring at each other in surprise. Then, that’s when Madi squealed in excitement so loud that it hurts my eardrums.

“Shit! Shit! Ali! You’re going to work for a band in Warped Tour! You’re gonna be able to tour the USA! And if I’m not mistaken, Europe too! This year! Oh my God!” she blurted out so fast and jumped up and down like a kid.

“Calm your fucking tits, Madison! It’s not yet confirmed. You heard your dad. He’s going to call the manager first and see what happens.” I hit my forehead with my palm. I sounded like a teacher, giving a 5 year old student some lecture but the situation was different. I’m talking to a 26 year old young woman who acts like a kid and that’s 10 times difficult than telling an actual kid to behave.

“But it’ll be confirmed, okay? They can’t decline that offer because they need it. Okay? Need.” She explained and I nodded simply.

“Yeah I know.” I sighed at the end of my sentence and went back to the guitar that I was checking.

The black guitar was superb. It was shiny and really easy to handle. I took it and decided to strum a bit. I must admit, the feeling of strings against my fingertips felt really different. It’s as if I never played guitar before. But it felt amazing at the same time. It’s like I’m looking back at those past years, minus the bullying and shits. I remember those days when my dad was still teaching me how to play a guitar. I was still so clueless about it and even a simple chord like ‘a’, I can’t do properly. But now, since I practiced guitar in my summer during my high school days, I can say to myself that I play guitar much better now.

Suddenly, I realized that Madison was staring at me for so long now. Probably a minute or two. I can tell that she’s waiting for me to strum and do the stuff that people should do while handling a guitar.

“Fine fine. I’ll try.” I uttered and she smiled that child-like smile.

And that’s when I started it. I did the intro of the song ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’. I did the riffs and stuff and surprised that I can still do it after all those years. My fingers were fast in doing the riffs and I smiled at the sight of it. I didn’t expect myself to be able to do that again. It was the first song that my father taught me with guitar riffs and I was 14 when I learned this. I used to have dead strings in performing it but now, it sounded perfectly. Just like how Slash did it on their actual recording. Well, I’m not supposed to compare myself to him but that’s how it sounded. For real.