Prologue

(A/N): This story is 100% original; please let me know if you find it anywhere else. It's my first story so please give it a chance and read the first few chapters then see if you want to keep going. Hope you enjoy!

Side Note: When I started working on this story, Zayn was still in the band, so he is in the story as the fifth band member still.

***

Prologue ~ *Kate's P.O.V.*:

"Wonderful!" Ms. Greene says as she takes a look at my painting from behind me.

"Thank you," I reply shyly. Does she really like it or is she being nice, again? She is a little old, in her late 50's, with gray hair, but she's clearly not grumpy like most teachers her age.

"I like how you made the tornado look a little 3D, but you have to work on it a little more."

The tornado. The tornado takes up almost half of my painting. Half of it is dark and sinister and the other half is bright and calm. It is the half my life used to be and the half I'm in right now. The separation of what seems like two different lives. In one person.

My phone vibrates and I shake my thoughts away. Miss Greene is gone and I don't even notice. I slide my finger across the bottom of the screen and read the text from my best friend who lives a few hours up North in Dallas.

Sarah: "OMGGGGG OMG OMG!! I can't wait for tomorrow!! Are you coming or no?? You're coming right?? You have to!! Please?! It's my birthday! It'll be the best thing you've ever done for me!"

I sigh and my small fingers move all across the keyboard as I try to type fast before I'm caught.

Me: "Sarah, we've talked about this just yesterday. Do I really have to go? I'd rather be in hell. You know how much I dislike them. What's so interesting about these boys, anyway??" My phone vibrates just 10 seconds after I put it down.

Sarah: "EVERYTHING?! Are you kidding me?? You know I can go on forever about how amazing they are!! Okay so one..." She leaves dots to hint to me that she'll be sending an enormously long paragraph.

Me: "Sarah!! Sarah, no honey, okay forget it! I'll call you when I get home. I gotta go now, and signal's really bad! Byeee!" The terrible signal gives me a good excuse.

Sarah: "Okay :( Bye, Pal! .xx"

Me: "Don't. Do that." She knows how much I hate it when she puts those "xx's" at the end of her sentences like whoever-in-the-band does it. Ugh.

Sarah: "Sorryyyyyy."

Me: "That too. Just..don't reply." I am not in the mood to play around right now. And I know that that Harry kid is the one who likes to type one letter a lot more than needed. Extremely annoying.

***

"Ching-a-ling!" And the bell finally rings! I have to say this is my favorite bell of the day. I run out and head to the bus stop so I don't miss my bus (like I did yesterday when I was arguing with Sarah about the boys' Meet and Greet).

I really don't see why she's crazy about 5 boys who don't even know she exists. And if I'm not wrong, they smoke and drink and, well, do they even sound like 'boys' anymore? And that Harry guy is someone I really despise. As far as I know, he plays with girls' hearts and recently broke up with that Taylor Swift, for whatever reason it was. She's all torn over him writing songs, and he seems like he didn't even have to give her a second thought. Talking about players.

***

When I finally get home, all I want to do is sleep. It is Friday--the best day of the week-- and I want to do nothing on weekends but sleep for as long as my body can bear. Just to waste time and, without doubt, escape my thoughts.

When I am just about to lay down, my phone rings. Sarah. Yikes, I forgot to call her. I pick up.

"Hey, Sarah."

"Hiiiiii! So? What did you decide? Are you coming? Are you? Are you?! Come onnn!" I think it's part of her routine to whine every now and then.

I sigh again. "Do I have any other choice?"

"Do you want to make me happy on my birthday or not? You'll never be able to give me anything better! I don't want to go alone! Please?" She pleads.

She has a good point. I can't afford a present as good as this to give her on her birthday, and winning those tickets online was definitely something that'll never happen again. Even though she paid a lot, it wasn't as much. And she is definitely obsessed—or, as she'd like to call it, "dedicated"—so nothing would mean to her more than that. It's just a day...24 hours at most, I thought to myself. Do it for your best friend that's always been there for you. It would mean so much to her, my subconscious added.

"Okay, fine. Call me like 30 minutes before you get here tomorrow and I'll be ready. You're—"

"O. M. G! Thank you so much! I love you! I lovvvvvvvve youu! This means the world to me! This will make my day extra special! I can't believe I am gonna see my blonde-haired beauty!" I don't have to ask what blond-haired beauty she's talking about. He's the only blonde in the band.

"Aha, right. Okay! Well, I'm glad I can make your day special!" I say, ignoring the last part of her speech. "Buuuuut, you're gonna have to drive me there, is that okay? Because I don't have a ride?" It ends more like a question.

"Are you kidding? I would get you a jet plane if I can afford it! Ha ha! I love you, Kate! See you tomorrow!" Well, she is very close to being able to afford it, anyway.

"Love you, too!" I say with a smile on my face. I'm not always moody, today is just not my day. Plus, she knows just how much I hate school. But I'm just glad I can make her birthday a little more special and be there for her. And who knows? Maybe I won't regret it...

At last, I hang up and fall asleep right away--like a baby--with the phone still in my hand, without even bothering to change into my PJ's.

*****

(A/N): Very short, but it gets longer. Please don't forget to vote and comment if you like the story/chapter! It would mean a lot. Thank you (: