Chapter 7

The door slid open; Mazer Rackham sat down on one of the comfy chairs in front of Hyrum Graff's desk. "I don't approve of your tactics Hyrum; he's still a boy for peat's sake. And he may have been born to lead, but he's done his duty. I won't help you convince him on this."

"Good morning to you too Mazer", Graff stretched out in his chair and turned towards his long time colleague.

"This isn't a debate. This is scrutiny what you're doing to that boy!"

"He's as much a boy as you and I Admiral, and I thank you for your concern but the issue presented doesn't apply to you. If and when it does I will certainly oblige in summoning you."

"You're not listening to me you fool." Mazer continued. It was annoying enough having to work with Graff, but the way he was purposely ignoring Mazer was baffling.

"Oh I'm listening. I just don't feel the need to reply in which I cannot answer. The job is done."

"And you're so sure of this because? Ender is not a toy in your game anymore, and I most certainly am not either. The day you decide I'm a chess piece is the day you'll be murdered in your sleep!"

Graff pretended to act surprised. "You would never to such an old friend."

"We're not friends, and you're still prolonging the inevitable."

"Ah always a straight shooter." Graff grinned. He was enjoying this and wanted to make it even more obvious than it already was.

"Ender doesn't need persuading. He has already chosen responsibility rather than the latter. He's a man of war, and great power. Need I remind you of that all famous quote? I think not. But Ender will do it because he will submit for what is right to the world. Not because of petty persuasion. Only duty will persuade that "boy" as you are so intent on implying him as so. If you want to speak further about the situation go and find him yourself. I have other pressing matters at hand."

Mazer wasn't even sure how to respond. He was used to being on the sidelines as Graff toyed with Ender, but now it was as if he was toying with him as well. And he was not about to let Hyrum Graff of all people control his actions and his intentions. The possibility of becoming succumbed to that jackass's agenda made him more than furious. So furious that he was willing to walk out of there right now. But Ender... He couldn't shake the thought. Being the victor from the second formic war he knew exactly what he'd been through. Well, not entirely but more than anyone else understood; and as long as that boy was still wrapped up in Graff's play he would try and ensure that he would be alright.

"Lost your tongue Mazer?" Graff scowled.

"Nonsense." Mazer came out of the daze and spoke sharply.

"Unless Ender has specifically said yes to you I wouldn't be so confident. You may have shaped that tool, but you no longer have complete control of him as you may think."

With that, Mazer walked out of the room in a victory stride. He didn't care how ridiculous it was to act as though he had already won. Graff was doing so, but he supposed that that was how he should also play the game.

* * * * * * * *

Ender jumped. Immediately he was panting from the exhilaration, and looked frantically around to try and decipher his surroundings. He had fallen asleep in a lonely corridor that nobody had seemed to use. Oh god, was the only thing that he could comprehend to say at the time. Not only had he not gone back to his parents, but he had wandered off into a troubled sleep where he had had a nightmare. It wasn't the normal kind that kids his age got, and frankly he hadn't had any since the fantasy game. But he knew that it would only get worse. So long as Graff wanted him to lead another battle, it would always be that way. There would be images of dead and mutilated bodies constantly haunting him whenever he closed his eyes. It was obvious to Ender then that he would no longer have a good night's rest.