Chapter 9: Wishful Thinking

Valentine watched as the Court Martial staff walked back into the room and took their seats. She also saw Ender purposely advert his attention to them, as if he were an open book. Smart, little brother. She couldn't help but think that he was manipulating them. Though, she still hadn't figured him out well enough for that to be an accurate observation. Nonetheless, her attention shifted.

"Val!" She turned. It was Peter of course; leaning over from beside her. For some reason he insisted that he sit there. "Why?" Valentine had so rudely asked. In which he replied, "I never get to sit by you. You're always so cooped up between mother and father that I forget I have a sister." Valentine only rolled her eyes at the time, though this was the first thing he'd said since that conversation ended.

"We shouldn't be talking!" She snapped back at him with a hiss.

"And when do we follow the rules?" He grinned.

Mother turned to them and gave Peter a look which only enhanced Valentine's statement. Peter lowered his voice to a whisper.

"It doesn't matter. Nothing is going to happen. No matter how much these people think they can cover, there's no way in hell they'll sentence Ender Wiggin within a couple of hours. Let alone, Hyrum Graff and Mazer Rackham. They'd have to be out of their minds."

Valentine was looking at Ender whom was still sitting there, as Peter spoke. And she most certainly didn't turn back to him with her reply.

"Maybe. But I don't need you to interrupt even if you're right. I don't want to have a run in with security either. It would only end up hurting Ender's case." She stopped and decided to look him in the eyes. She had to tilt her head a slight bit upwards to do it, but she knew he got her message. "Besides. You wouldn't be that cruel to your little brother. After all, if you do that, well then he'd be taken care of before you got your grimy hands all over him." 

He turned back to the front and Valentine took a moment to revel in her victory. She could still push Peter's buttons with logic, though she stopped because she knew that sometimes she couldn't do anything to stop him at all.

After a while, she turned back and looked at the non-excitement. Literally nothing was remotely happening, though Ender and everyone sitting around him was at full attention. They must be bored out of their minds, she thought. It was obvious that the Martial staff was just sitting there. They had been doing so for a half an hour, and were just chatting amongst themselves.

There. Valentine's eyes flicked over to Bernard who looked in another direction. As soon as he did, the staff looked and began to resume their session. Then it hit her. It wasn't as if the Staff were clueless. They were testing them to see who was the first one to lose interest. Why? She didn't quite understand their motives. Yet Valentine knew that Ender would've seen right through their plan, and made an extra effort to look intrigued. However, Bernard wasn't as bright as the majority of them at the table were, so it was what was expected of him. In some ways she was sure he was more educated than her, but it all depended on how he used that information for his own benefit. And clearly, he wasn't doing so.

"We would like to gather everyone's attention once more." Valentine listened in as an older woman rose from her chair. She was shaky as she spoke, and her posture wasn't the greatest, yet she had a firmness about her. So, of course that led Val to immediately respect her for it.

"The Court Martial needs no further information today regarding Ender Wiggin, and the dilemma we must face with him. But..." She coherently stopped. "The Martial will continue towards Hyrum Graff, and Mazer Rackham for the duration of the day. Bernard, Alai, and Bean you will be escorted out of the room."