Chapter 11: Reality Check

"I think Ender truly has a chance to stay."

"Oh please.The boy committed genocide at the age of 11! The world does not need someone that violent."

"You're right. He is quite aggressive, but is he actually malicious? We needed a hero to save us from the Buggers. We got our most qualified to train him, and I'm sure they weren't affectionate."

"He seems to lack in emotion as well."

"He was raised in the military without any parents! How did you expect him to turn out? He represents the best chance humanity had, and he succeeded."

"He cannot represent anything that this world stands for! We don't support child murder! He killed a boy before he was even brought into the program! That is not humanity's best. That is cruelty and damage."

"That was self defence! We have all seen the statements. Regardless of whatever uncivilized acts he has committed, Ender is the saviour of the human race. We would not be here without him! It would be cruel to deny him a life with what he saved."

"The only reason he wants to stay is so he can lead the United States in another world war."

"He does not want war! Ender Wiggin has done everything he was raised to do. If he didn't act in self defence against those children, he would be the one who was dead today. We all would."

"And we will be dead tomorrow once he kills us all."

"You make the boy sound so heartless. He isn't a robot. We should be thanking him for keeping us alive."

* * * * * * * *

Petra sat, tentively starring at the ansible computer. She had been watching live debates about Ender all afternoon, trying to figure out if it was clear what the verdict would be.

"Every one of those BattleSchool students should be considered dangerous! They should all be exiled. Not just Ender Wiggin!" An older, very American looking man screamed out to a crowd from behind a podium.

"Those kids were all trained the same way! The only difference is that Ender Wiggin is more intelligent, and did actually succeed."

Petra watched the flickering screen as the man so obviously paused for affect.

"I say, we petition to kick them all out! No stupid trials or crummy votes! Just get them off of our world!"

Some of the crowd became crazy with applause for the idiot, but Petra couldn't help but realize how it wasn't even close to half of them. It was clear that they did not support the middle-aged hooligan.

"Why are you even watching that?"

Petra jumped. She was too consumed within her thoughts, and turned around to see it was Ender who pulled her out of them.

He sympathetically smiled at her, noticing that she definitely was not expecting anyone.

"I need to know that you'll stay." She said simply, and couldn't quite tell what kind of expression appeared on Ender's face.

"Sadly, the campaigns will not give you the answers, Miss Arkanian."

He sat down beside her looking quite solemn, she had decided on, and he took a deep breath.

"Petra." Was all he really could say at the time, and it took her a moment to realize that he was waiting on her.

"I um.. I'm not sure how to put this into words because I don't know what you're thinking." She said.