Chapter 14: It all Comes Down to This

The fluorescent lights glimmered, illuminating every inch of the more than familiar court room. Sounds of clacking shoes from the halls echoed the empty room, as the only current occupant was none other than Ender Wiggin.

The boy who not only saved the world, but ensured the existence of the entire human race. His accomplishments were more than extraordinary, and everyone, whether they were intelligent or not, knew just how important he was. Some had gone so far as to call him essential for anything else to revolutionize in human society. Some certain individuals even looked up to him as a god, but not too deep down in the boy's subconscious, he knew he was nothing even close.

Even after all of the chaos, the fighting, the internal battle between himself; every single hardship and task had led up to this final event. Ender hadn't realized that the entirety of his life would only lead him here. Heck, nobody, even the smartest person on Earth, would have been able to predict anything of the such. Ender's story was one full of unbelievable pain and adventure, but most of all; responsibility.

He could still feel the weight of the world on his shoulders despite how much he tried to rid himself of it. Leadership was what had always flowed through his veins, and after what Ender had experienced, he recognized that more now than ever. So, as he sat there alone in the room, lounging effortlessly on the arm of his wheelchair, waiting behind the same panel as before, this was all trailing through his mind.

That is until of course someone had to ruin his self wallowing train of thought. There was a noisy screech as the double doors behind the "hot seat" opened up, and the Court Martial officials strode in. Ender caught Stacy's eye as she went to go and sit down in the middle, and she barely nodded towards him. It was more than clear that she had a job to do and a reputation to hold in front of her colleagues.

Yet Ender, being Ender, had another plan in mind for how today would work. And regardless of any one of those official's opinions, Ender expected them to understand his plea and throw away their own tactics. In other words, he needed to speak to them privately.

After much effort, Ender managed to swivel his wheelchair around the many chairs placed at the panel, and made his way to the Court Martial's long table.

He greeted all of them individually with a dashingly fake smile. Though, obviously they didn't know that it was anything but sincere.

"If I may speak Miss Stacy?", Ender cleared his throat, and looked for the approval of their boss before continuing.

She nodded without a second thought, and they all stopped their conversing to bring their attention to him.

"Well have I got something to tell you all", Ender was trying his best to be confident as he introduced his plea. Hopefully I'm right, he thought to himself. Hopefully this was a good idea.

* * * * * * * *

The court room gradually began to fill as more time passed, and it was clear that the place would be full very early on. The only difference from last time was the mandatory no cameras or recording devices law that the I.F. had decided to enforce. There was no flashes, and no scrambling to get the perfect shot. This time, as people came in they just found their seats and looked around.

Ender found himself looking towards the crowd every so often, and got the expected looks of sympathy from some. They had all heard about what he had done for Valentine, and in a lot of people's eyes, that made him even more of a hero.

The occasional glare; however, reminded him just how split the public's opinions were.

It wasn't until the panel started filling, that Ender felt content enough to just occupy himself with his own thoughts.
Graff made himself known quite early, Mazer followed a couple of minutes behind him, and Petra finally entered a half an hour later. The seating arrangement was changed due to Ender's lack of mobility, and he moved over to the end where Petra sat to his left. She was followed by Graff and then Mazer on the other end.