Chapter One

Chapter One

(James is Born/ Meet Cecilia)

Waking up in a fully functioning apartment, all alone, for the first time, is scary but somehow exciting. It meant I was born, I was alive. I was born knowing common sense and survival skills. I was born knowing how to live.

There was a throbbing pain in my head; I had a feeling there was something in my head missing. My eyes were still closed, so I tried to convince myself it was sight. I had a strong feeling that it was memories, memories that were not my own.

I woke up in a cheap bed. It was uncomfortable, obviously, but that was the last thing I was focused on. I was trying to make out what was in my head, fuzzy figures and ideas, but still filled with so much knowledge. I just didn't know what degree of knowledge that was.

Take your first breath, I thought, it'll help you open your eyes.

I gasped loudly for air, letting the sound of my breathing being the first thing I could hear. I finally opened my eyes but it took a few minutes to gain vision. The ceiling was bright, much brighter than I anticipated. I immediately looked at my chest and my stomach. I was selfishly checking to see if I had a heavy stomach, which I didn't. I realized I was completely naked, besides a small, half sheet of paper lying on the area below my stomach. I felt my cheeks turn pink from embarrassment.

I sat up and quickly grabbed the paper. It read:

-CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH-

NAME:  James Isaac

OTHER (SUR)NAME: Penn

BIRTHDATE: April 4, 1071

SEX: Male

ESTIMATED WAIT: 936 Years

DISTRICT: Lloyd

BUILDING: Pink, Room 106

Waiting time? I felt the knowledge pounding against my head, causing the headache. It meant I had to wait, if that wasn't obvious, but wait for what? It was a long wait, and it was for something valuable, something I wanted, something I needed. Something I loved. A girl. Not just any girl, the girl. The girl I was created for. Those were who the unseen memories belonged to.

Things started to make sense.

I tried to ignore the pounding, deciding to search for some form of life. It hit me that I was naked, so I stood up, with the intentions of reaching the dresser. I slid both feet gently on the ground, touching the floor for the first time. A small excitement jolted through me as I thought of standing for the first time, taking my first steps. Instead, my lack of experience in walking led to my face hitting the floor quite abruptly. The excitement disappeared as quickly as it came.

I stumbled up off the ground, and dragged my feet to the dresser, opposite of the bed. My eyes finally adjusted enough to the new light that I could make out details of the room. I was lucky enough to find the dresser when I couldn't see. I gripped both hands on the dresser, gaining balance as I tried to stand. The dresser was cold under my hands, and as I finally took in its appearance, I learned it was wood, old shiny wood.

I glanced at the floor under my feet. It was a dark wood floor, creeping along the edge of bright Pink walls. Taking in the entire room, I noticed almost everything was draped in pink. A pink blanket on the bed, a pink rug by the closet door, pink flowers in a pink vase, pink paintings, and anything else you could imagine being pink in that room practically was. It made me cringe