Ch. 18 - "...be who you need..."

AN: another month of exams and I've been getting A's... "the private college, you're going to is hard," they said hahaha c'mon, it's just Business and Engineering...lol, sorry for being like a month late on this update...but please, enjoy this chapter :)

x-x-x-x

Alison's POV

The rest of that morning went by smooth, the only awkwardness being on my part. How did Em know about the pancakes, what was that glint in her eyes? I spent the next few hours wondering what was going on in that beautiful mind of hers.

I was hopeful, but I didn't want to jinx it, plus if Em remembered something, she'd tell me...at least that's what I think.

Dr. Pearson said her memory loss wasn't as severe as it could have been and that over time Em would regain some things, what those things were was a mystery and when, an even bigger one. But if her behavior was any indication that she was regaining pieces of the past, I'd gladly make her favorite pancakes every day and at any time of day.

"Ali?" I turned to my side. It was Mona. The look in her eyes told me she had found something and I needed to talk to her in private.

I cleared my throat, set my cup down and left the kitchen unnoticed, the boys were doing a great job keeping Emily busy. Today was the first day I had seen her smile like she used to, wide and natural and genuinely happy. How she could seem happy when her friends and family were kidnapped and someone is watching us, I didn't know, but she seemed hopeful after last night. And I felt better telling her everything we knew. There were enough barriers between us already. Hopefully, those would all be gone soon.

The hope we had was more powerful than the fear we used to feel, but I know hope devastates more than fear does, it was dangerous to be this hopeful. At least we're expecting a disaster or worse when we're afraid. It's always harder to be let down when you're hopeful, that's how I had always seen it. The only one to make me believe otherwise was sitting across from me, the length of her neck exposed as she tilted her head back in laughter.

I didn't want to tear my eyes away from the sight but my feet carried me to follow behind Mona and we ended up back in the back room that we were all in last night.

"What is it?"

"I did what you told me to do." Mona reached behind her and pulled out a series of binder-clipped papers.

What I had told her to do, in secret last night, was to sneak back to my house after she picked up her car this morning.

The animosity between us dissipated into a mutual sort of friendship, hell we were almost oven roasted to a crisp 24 hours ago, so it was easier than I thought to give her the keys to my house. Of course, I don't know that we could ever be actual friends, but we were in this together and to be standing with her opposed to against her was more comforting than I would have expected. She is a part of Hanna's life and Hanna Mona's, so having her here makes it seem like Hanna is closer than she might be.

"Okay, so what is all of that?" I pointed to her hands.

Mona moved to the side of the table to spread out, in a specific, Mona-like order, the papers she had found.

"Okay, so we can tell the others after but I thought I would tell you first. This is kind of sick and twisted."

I swallowed, this was already so sick and twisted, I wasn't sure I could bear to know that there was more.

"First, where did you find everything?"

Mona looked up and me, surprised I changed the subject and she smirked, "you know your mom better than you thought; it was right where you said it would be."