Chapter 56

"Are you able to see them now?" the Eldress asked. "They've stopped by several times already."

Klair heard Ilock's quite curse. He sat up, ignoring the hurt of his arms and legs. The wizard lied! They came. They came to see him. They did care. "Yes, I want..."

"You should rest Klair," Ilock warned.

Klair turned to the man fuming. "You said they didn't want to come. You said—"

"They're Norms, Klair."

Eldress Nelora glared at the healer. "You are our guest, Master Ilock. You requested... nearly demanded... to attend to the boy." She straightened. "We've discussed this and it will be the boy's decision of where he goes or stays. I thought we agreed upon that."

"He's Kapawn."

Nelora raised a hand pointing to Klair's disheveled but still corded hair. "Not yet."

Ilock turned to go, "the Kapawn will arrange for the wall to be fixed."

Klair looked anxiously at Nelora. She answered the room. "I accept Whistler's agreement to repair the damage. That's only fair." Her gaze settled upon the Seedling. "Emson and Rosla are still downstairs." She turned to Ilock. "We will permit them some privacy," she turned to the healer, "after you Master Ilock."

The healer's gaze hardened but he nodded. His smile was forced and quick. "Certainly, but for only a short time. Klair does need his rest."

"Agreed."

Nelora arranged a sheet to rest over Klair's legs and lap before the three left.

Shortly after Emson and Sticks entered. The girl ran to him, embraced and kissed him then suddenly stepped back in statement. "What have they done to you?"

Klair tried to grab her and hold her but she she's stepped back too quickly. What she was talking about? He said nothing. He stretched his hands out; Rosla stepped forward into his embrace and gasped as he griped her around the waist.

Emson stepped forward and gently placed a comforting arm around his shoulders. He drew in a sharp breath but locked his lips against any further response.

Now among those he trusted, Klair released the flood gates. Klair pulled both of them close, his entire body raked with sobs as he held both against him. No one else he trusted more, except for his mother, than these two. "I didn't know. I didn't know... I didn't— "

"We don't blame you Klair," Emson stated simply. Repeating it until Klair was able to hear.

Klair looked up beseeching. "I wouldn't have come had I—"Emson's grip on his shoulder tightened for a moment.

Dropping his head to rest between them, Klair didn't notice them both stiffen to his touch, a mix of emotions playing across their faces, sorrow, love, pity, pleasure and guilt.

Klair vented his sorrow while his two closest companions held him.

When the initial tide was out, Emson gently pressed an exhausted Klair to the bed mats, keeping a hand on his shoulder while Rosla stepped back breathing heavily. Klair did not wipe his eyes; they saw and knew his weakness now. He finally noticed their stiff stances and bewildered expressions.

"What?"

Rosla touched her front, eyes wide. "You tingle, it makes me feel..." She stopped, blushing.

He looked up at Emson. The man was stone faced. Touching Klair also affected him. Klair stiffened. He heard Loginna's voice in his head. "You make me tingle." Like arousal? He remembered Ilock's words, 'A lot of gals would be happy to accommodate you.' Because I tingle... turn them on, he realized. But how?