Chapter 33

Ashes of the fire that Klair just doused with a bowl of water sizzled on the ground. The hot coals hissed the water into steam. One log, still partially solid, rolled beneath the toe of his boot.

The slight crunch of wood made him flinch, in memory of over six days ago when alone with a group of woodsmen, they watched him as he slowly battled death. The weight of multiple logs pressed down upon his chest.

He wanted to yell, "I can't breathe!"

Klair blinked and clamped his mouth shut.

How long my am I going to have to live with this new horror? He shivered again. He turned away for the remnants of the fire and slowly mounted the wagon. The horses shifted their hooves but the old men kept them still.

At least it had stopped raining.

"You still look tired." Kerrida said.

Klair forced a smile. "Couldn't sleep so I thought it would be good to do four new Starts."

The old man grinned. "I can't fault you for having a lack of perseverance."

Klair shrugged. "Blame my mother." His heart warmed at the thought of her. He took the cheese resting on a cloth on Kerrida's knee. He bit into it and began to suck.

The old man handed him a lump of bread. "It's wise for a wizard to learn such."

"I'm not a wizard, Kerrida," Klair's tone tired. "Spawn, yes." Stuffing the food inside fold of his shirt, he took the reins from his friend.

Kerrida relaxed breaking off a piece of his own cheese. "Okay then, you may not be a wizard in name, but you obviously have strong potential to accomplish what you have done." The old man smiled at him. "We are not the only ones traveling this morning. Your Starts are heading at Nakatta, Marrks and ShuShum forests by now. Poral insisted on personally taking a Start to Kapawn School."

Klair stiffened, hauled back on the reins. "No!"

Kerrida looked back at him. "You object?"

One of the horses snorted as Klair maintained the tight rein. "I—I didn't want the Kapawn wizards to know what happened. Shards!"

He glared at the road before them. He watched the two horses shaking their heads against their tight restraints. He slapped the reins and they started forward again. His mind in sudden turmoil.

Klair thought the subject closed, when he discouraged Koova from openly celebrating the eventual restoration of their forest. By taking a Start to Taaken city, the Kapawn wizards would ask questions. They would quickly learn of him and his blossoming powers. How would the school respond? Other Spawn 'sent' to the city weren't given a choice or were kidnapped by the Seiun Priests.

He'd proven his loyalty to Anvil hadn't he, without having to go to Taaken?

Kerrida remained silent and watched Klair work through his rage with a growing worry.

Klair had been able to hide his easy temper from his friend until now. He imagined the old man wanting to raise his hands next to his ears; wiggling his fingers and murmur, "Hurrisic."

Insanity must be inherited. His thoughts turned to his biological father. He definitely had no desire to meet Thorn, if he should ever visit the city of wizards. His wizard father displayed no interest in him. Besides, how do you respond to a crazy man? Do they have to keep him restrained?

Why couldn't they just leave him alone!

He bellowed in frustration. The horses jerked in fear, forcing Klair to pull the reins tight to stop their panic. How long could he expect to keep his secrets? Taaken would eventually learn of his Starts. It was only a matter of time. After what he had done, he couldn't stop the tide now. Maybe it would show the wizards that the people could fare very well without their intervention.

He wondered what Maken's map looked like now.

The people of the Anvil finding their own cures would drop the Kapawn wizards down a peg.

Kerrida briefly rested a hand on Klair's arm. The old man's gaze gentled. "With your successes in the forest and seeing this victory, we thought you might choose wizardry as your profession. Are you still undecided?"

Klair released his tension with a snap of the reins. The horses started to trot. He snorted. "One victory." He shook his head. "Four days of—it wasn't easy."

"Is it ever?" Kerrida countered. "Would victory be so sweet if it came easily? Remember the faces of those who came to honor you to..." The old man began to raise his fist to his chest and Klair slapped it away.

"Stop doing that!" Klair murmured.

Kerrida paused, studied him. "You're in pain."

Klair stared at the abrupt change of topic.

"Something's happened to your foot. You've been favoring your left leg ever since the hole."

Klair closed his eyes against the dark memory. He rubbed his knee, though the pain throbed his foot. He nearly died, and had in the end been infected himself. He'd kept the secret. Even now, deep within his leg he felt the persist gnawing of the life form within.

"I bruised it, don't worry about it." He stared to the road ahead. "Anyone would limp walking on a bruised heel."

His friend persisted. "Those who introduced the worm to the forest may have spent six-days preparing themselves before the act. They probably provided some kind of protection for themselves. You didn't." Kerrida's voice quickened. "You dove right in because we demanded it." The old man's tone acquired a bit of self-derision. "It's the results that count, isn't it?" Kerrida waved a hand to the road behind them. "We might not know all it cost you but you saw it in their eyes. Our entire city is in your debt. Ask them anything and they will do it. How many men can boast of such a claim?"

Klair stared straight forward, intentionally avoiding Kerrida's gaze. "Had I failed, what kind of reception would I get?"

Kerrida opened his mouth to speak, paused, and closed it again.

"Exactly," Klair directed his words to himself as much as Kerrida.

"If I choose wizardry, being accepted will always depend upon my success or failure." He grabbed at the black sheen of his braided hair and yanked at it. "Trust and acceptance are not ensured and for that reason, I've chosen a different profession."

"The same thing could be said of any man following an apprenticeship," Kerrida countered. "Certainly a new war is upon us. Your ability will be needed in our defense against Fist."

Klair wanted to curse but remained silent.