Unwanted Attention

Lucid sunlight danced on my cheeks through the blinds, I could hear the sounds of rushing cars in the distance. I smiled at the bright, warm, new day. I checked the time, it's a quarter to 8.

"Natalie," I shouted happily, stretching my arms, "wake up."

She rolled over on the couch, unaware of how close she was to the edge. She was really close to dropping.

"What time is it?" She said, squirming around under the sheets.

"7:45." I reply, watching her eagerly. As she falls off the couch I laughed hysterically.

"Ha, very funny," she said, very nonchalantly, "are you going to make breakfast?"

I chuckled softy before answering, "I thought we could have breakfast at work?"

"Good idea." She replied, pulling herself onto her feet.

"You better go back to your apartment and get ready for work, I'll see you there." I say to her, smiling broadly. She yawns while running her fingers through her hair in an attempt to tame the wild locks of golden hair.

"Another good idea, sir you are a genius." She jokes, laughing heartily.

"It's sir Phillips to you, young lady." I giggle, throwing a pillow at her. She chucks it back and fails miserably, missing me by a few inches.

"I meant to do that," she smiles, "I'll see you at work."

We exchange waves of goodbyes. Before I know it she's gone. I pick up the pillow that was previously thrown across the room and place it neatly back onto my bed.

After having a quick, hot shower and drying my hair I walk over to my closet, grabbing a pair of black leggings and a black shirt to match. I pull my hair into a ponytail and throw a pair of running shoes on, grabbed my keys and then my bag before running out the door.

This time, I take the elevator to the underground car park. I checked the time again while I waited for the elevator doors to open. It was a quarter past twelve and work starts at nine. I heard a quiet ding as the doors opened and I stepped out, looking for my car.

It took a while but I finally located my car somewhere at the back. I pressed the unlock button on my car keys and I saw the car's light blink. I opened the door, starting the engine as soon as I got in the car. I drove out of the building's car park and towards where I worked.

The small bakery was not far from here on a street. The street was always busy and that was good for our little bakery. We'd usually get lots of customers on busy days and today looks like one of them.

I arrived at the bakery and parked right in front of it, next to the company car. I could see Natalie through the window, as she saw me she waved and smiled. I grinned and strolled inside. It was barren, not a customer in sight.

"We haven't opened yet?" I asked, grabbing my apron from the rack.

"You're early, Jas." She answers, rather obviously. I turn around and look at the pendulous clock hanging on the elegant, heavily decorated, black wall. It's true. I was about fifteen minutes early. I grab a few donuts.

"Oh, I'll get started on some éclairs." I assured Natalie, watching her sort out some papers while taking small bites of my sugarcoated donut.

"Yeah ok. I'll help when I'm done with these." She replies, taking her eyes off of the papers to look into mine. I smile and she continues her work. I continue to munch on my breakfast then I go to the back and say hello to my coworkers.

After I finished I grab the ingredients for the pastry. Water, milk, butter, flour, eggs and chocolate. I preheat the oven and pulled a baking tray from the cupboard, covering it's surface with baking paper.