Chapter 12

Meadow

IT'S BEEN TWO months and you're already behind on classes, Meadow. You won't keep that scholarship if you don't even go to classes. You need to go see him and start college. You earned this scholarship."

I look into the brown eyes of my mother. "What has happened to you?" I ask, completely dumbfounded at the woman giving me advice. Actually seemingly bothered about my scholarship. I know she probably just wants me out of her hair once and for all.

I went away for two weeks after that night, and when I came back, Jared hadn't been back and no one knew where he went. Justin has left for Florida; he left letters for me with Drew but I can't read them, and I made Drew and my Mom swear to tell people I'm not staying here if anyone asks. I need to be invisible again and just blend into the scenery.

My classes started three weeks ago and my professors are only giving me two more days before they take me off their roster. Everything I worked for, making sure I could follow Justin to Florida state so he wouldn't be alone was all for nothing.

I'm used to the fear of being left alone; I am the poster child for a lonely childhood. My Father knocked my Mom up and left her as soon as the stick turned pink. Then her family abandoned us before I even took a breath. I had lots of 'uncles' come and go over the years. Mom thought that was a good term for her many boyfriends.

Then the most important person in my whole world left me, not once, but twice. I wonder how Justin is coping. Drew said he's struggling but he hurt me so bad. I'm struggling too and I don't know how to see him again but I know I have to.

I'VE BEEN STARING at the wooden door for at least twenty minutes, my heart pounding in my ears. I raise and lower my hand over and over but can't bring myself to wrap my knuckles on the door.

"Hey, can I help you?" I turn to see a blonde guy with brown eyes smirking at me. He points to the door I'm standing like a statue in front of. "This is my place."

I blink and realize what a freak I must seem. I clear my dry throat. "Oh, erm, sorry. I thought Justin Jacobs lived here."

The guy smiles and comes closer. "He does. I'm Max, his roommate."

I return his smile. "Oh, right. I'm Meadow."

His eyes roam over me and his smile broadens. "Of course you are, I recognize you now." He laughs at my confusion and puts his key in the lock. "Justin has pictures of you."

My face flushes. "Oh, okay."

"I can see why he's so messed up over you. Are you blushing? That's cute" He winks. The flush travels further up my cheeks and down my neck. I shake my head and follow him over the threshold.

"I'm just playing trying to ease your tension, you been out there long?"

He raises his eyebrows knowingly. I try to smile but my lips refuse to tilt up. I shrug instead and look around the apartment I'm supposed to be living in with Justin, taking in the natural tones to the décor. The wide screen TV, and recliners scream guy pad. It's not until I notice all the pictures adorning the walls that it feels more homely.

"See." Max gestures to the pictures hanging from every wall. They're of me and Justin; the apartment is covered in them. "Drink?" He holds up a beer bottle and tilts it in my direction.