Help is on the Way

-Shane's POV-

I can't stop myself from shivering at the cold, looking around anxiously.

"They won't do anything to you until it's a wolf moon again." Kier sighs. "Until then, they just keep us completely locked away."

"As if we're animals." I finish off for him, hugging my knees close to my chest.

He nods awkwardly. "As far as they're concerned, we're just beasts, not one of them."

"It's for three nights out of the month!" I whine.

"Exactly! It's not like they're going to listen to one of us lowly animals, right?" He points out.

I tremble at the cold again, looking up in fear as two men in white coats walk over to us. "Looks like you need a blood test, mutt." One of them chuckles harshly as they unlock the cage and pull me out.

I panic and try to run away but they tighten their grip on me and drag me away from Kier.

"N-no p-please!" I plead, feeling completely humiliated to being manhandled without any clothes.

They simply strap me to a chair like thing, securing me with leather straps to keep me still. I panic when I see them pull out a needle. "D-don't do this p-please!" I whine.

They ignore me and press it into my arm, taking a sample of my blood. I groan at the pain and watch as they put it in a test tube and mix it with some kind of chemical.

"Well, won't you look at that?" One of them smirks at me. "Looks like we got a winner." He adds.

I shake my head pathetically in an attempt to somehow convince them that I'm useless.

"According to our research, you won't be needing the moon to change anymore." The man smirks.

"No, y-you don't u-understand!" I plead. "It's a-always when the m-moon's f-full!"

"Shut up." One of them demands instantly.

"We need to lock him up and secure his cage before he changes again." One of them tell me.

"No, I w-won't change, I sw-swear!" I whimper.

They simply ignore me and start to undo my restraints. I do everything I can to escape but a simple punch in the stomach knocks the wind out of me so they simply drag me back to the small cage.

-Drew's POV-

When I wake up, I'm surprised that there's a bowl of soup, still steaming, just next to me. I smile at the sight of it and help myself to it.

"What do you think?" Luke asks when he enters the room with a glass of water.

I finish it and put it down, lying back down on my back again. "It's good, thank you." I tell him honestly. "I owe you."

"Don't mention it." He shrugs off politely.

"I'll do anything you tell me to so I can pay you back." I add.

"No you won't." He tells me bluntly.

"Wh-why not?" I ask.

He just takes a moment to crouch down in front of me. "I'm going to get you back to your pack."

"They shot me, what if they also shot him too?" I check.

Luke just gives me an empathetic look as he strokes my fringe out of my eyes. "He's only just reached the point where the change is optional. I can get him out of there along with any others they've got in there tonight." He tells me calmingly.

I shake my head at him. "You can't, what if you don't come back?" I try.

"I'll come back, I promise." He reassures. "I'll bring my pack." He adds cheekily.

"Who?" I check.

He smirks before whistling, causing a whole pack of dogs to come running into the room.

"You're crazy!" I gasp.

"I'll be back soon." He tells me, ruffling my hair. "Just get some rest, you'll have your friend back before you know it."

I keep shaking my head, trying to get up. I whimper at the pain, immediately alerting Luke of what I'm doing.

"Drew, you need to lie down and rest." He tells me instantly.

"I can't just stay here." I tell him. "I could help you follow his trail."

Luke takes a moment to consider it. "He must mean a lot to you." He works out.

"He's my Alpha, pack leader, whatever you wanna call it." I explain. "He's different. I'd do anything for him, especially to redeem myself for failing him-"

"-You didn't fail him. You might've been a little brash but what else could you have done?" He immediately assures. "For all you knew, they were going to kill him too. You ignored the dangers to fight for him. If one of my pack did that, I'd be extremely proud but I would also warn them to be more careful next time."

"Because it was a stupid thing to do." I guess.

"No, because every pack leader cares deeply about each member of his or her pack. I couldn't imagine losing one of mine, so I can't help but wonder what your pack leader must be feeling right now. The smell of your blood and silver was all over his living room and picking up the scent of him faintly on you tells me that you might have licked him after you were shot." He explains. "He's probably devastated."

"Then I need to go with you! That way he doesn't have to worry 'bout me!" I argue.

He shakes his head and makes his way to the door. I immediately prove how serious I am by pulling myself to my feet and trying to follow him. Both the mixture from the poison bullet and the deep scar Barrone left on me a few nights ago makes sure that I don't make it so I collapse instantly.

"You need to stay here. He'll be able to pick up your scent on me and you can hardly make it two metres in your condition." He tells me firmly. "I'll leave one of them to be on guard just in case you need it."