Mowgli Doolittle

Mowgli was raised by a family of wolves after his mother, Amala, leaves him to die after she gives birth to him. Amala has lived in solitude with her parents for six months to hide her shame of being pregnant and not married. After naming him Mowgli (the Frog or little Frog) she calls upon Shere Khan to take him as an offering to leave their village in peace. The wolves, Achyuta (indestructible) and Raksha (protection), rescue him and adopt him, raising them with their own cubs.

The wolves defy Shere Khan and protect Mowgli. He then comes under the protection of the panther Bagheera and the bear Baloo. The pair become his protectors and mentors.

Mowgli has never questioned his ability to talk to the animals. He was raised by animals so of course he simply believes he learnt their language. Mowgli's father is Montgomery Doolittle, Dr Doolittle's son. A family with an inherent ability to talk to animals. Mowgli doesn't know this but Bagheera strongly suspects when they meet Montgomery.

No animal can stare Mowgli in the eyes. They cannot keep the gaze and Mowgli uses it as a weapon. As a child he would stare down the other animals as part of their games. He still has scars on his body from where the wolves bit him while playing. They weren't as impressed as he was with this ability. Man's language is so foreign to that of animals that Mowgli had to learn it before he could access their thoughts and understand every other language.

When Montgomery arrives in India on his first stop for pulling together Doctor Moreau's shopping list of animals that he needs for his experiments. While there he finds two animals that Moreau has had on his list for a while; a black panther and a bear. Montgomery is surprised to find these two animals walking side by side with each other. In turn, the two animals are surprised to find another human who they can understand and hardly hesitate to come to him when asked. Too late do they realize it is a trap and they have walked into the cages that will transport them to England.

When Mowgli discovers his friends have been taken, he stows on board a freighter bound for England so he can track down and free his friends Baloo and Bagheera.

Eventually Mowgli realizes they can't go back and a black panther, a large bear and a young Indian boy traveling together makes it difficult to hide in Willow Weir. The trio are offered a home with Damon Frankenstein in Pellucidar (Hollow Earth).

Art by Sami Basri and Jessica Kholinne

Mowgli Doolittle and Weirding Willows ©2009-2015 Dave Elliott

Amazon www.amazon.com/A1-Presents-Weirding-Willows-Vol-1/dp/1782760350/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VJR0TDV8JFRDA4PTPSP