The Wicked Witch of the West

Art by Sami Basri and Jessica Kholinne

MARGAREETE MARCHE is the WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST.

Margareete is tall, slender and if you squint your eyes you might say she was very beautiful. Her skin is a pale olive color. Get closer and you can see the wrinkles. You get a glimpse of how old she is. She is very OLD. Her hair is JET BLACK. Margareete stands regally, her shoulder back, chest out. Always confident.

Margareete carries a long black umbrella at all times. She REALLY doesn't like water. Margareete dresses in green and black. She often wears long black gloves that stop halfway between her elbow and shoulder.

Margareete's family have a long history across the various universes. It was nearly 500 years ago that her family left OZ and hid on Earth after the Witch Wars torn the world apart. Theirs was but one of many families that made the perilous journey, but certain death awaited them if they remained there.

Margareete and her brother, Marshall Hatta, were born on Earth, unaware of their true origins. When a squad of Witch Hunters from OZ arrived on Earth her family was nearly wiped out. However, in 1721, she and her brother managed to defeat the Witch Finders with the help of a young scientist visiting England from America. The trio and with the Marche's mother, escaped from Earth to Wonderland. There they sort refuge with Harriet Glindelle, the Red Queen of Wonderland. Harriet was mistrusting at first, OZ and Wonderland had come close to war several times and tensions between the two were high. The fact the Marches were witches and outlaws helped her make the decision to help them. Besides, they might be valuable assets later on.

Harriet had a young daughter by the name of Gayelette. Gayelette and Marshall became good friends, both exhibited a cruel streak that each brought out in the other. Yet over the next few years it was Gayelette and the young scientist from Earth who would fall in love. His name was Oscar Zoroasster Phadrig Issac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs, Margareete had taken to just calling him 'The Wizard' because of all the wonderful things he does.

Margareete and Gayelette just never managed to hit it off, but while not exactly friends, their relationship would stay cordial.

Then war broke out between OZ and Wonderland.

Thanks to an alliance with Oberon from Mag Mell, Harriet defeated the Ozian Witches. Gayelette was installed as Queen of OZ and Oscar married who became her consort. Margareete and Marshall were finally able to go with their mother to OZ.

Margareete, Marshall and their mother took over the armies in the west of OZ. Even though they were of OZ blood they were considered outsiders and the resentment generated toughened both of the young Marches.

On the other hand, Gayelette and Oscar were well received. The 'Wizard' continually creates new gadgets that helps the rebuilding process after the war. Gayelette feels a little jealous of the attention Oskar gets and insists he stop appearing in public.

Years later, Harriet Glindelle died and Gayelette returns to Wonderland to become the new Red Queen. Oskar decides to stay and the two are divorced.

In the vacuum left by Gayelette, many of the witch covens try to ascend once more to power. Eventually a truce is drawn up and each of the major witch covens divide up OZ between them, with Margareete keeping the West.

Much has happened in OZ since then. Marshall has since moved to Wonderland where he finally marries Gayelette and Margareete is looking to amass an army to take on the other witches. She has tried to enlist the aid of the Nome King and asked for the Golden Cap that would give her control over the rare Flying Monkeys. He refused so she has returned to Earth for help there.

Margareete has never shown a real interest in men but has had occasional dalliances where it could benefit her. One of those 'dalliances' was with the London scientist and doctor Henry Jekyll.

Art by Barnaby Bagenda and Jessica Kholinne

When Jekyll tells her about the experiments of his friend Doctor Moreau Margareete wastes no time in having Jekyll set up a meeting with Moreau in London to know more.

Moreau is currently operating on a dozen chimpanzees to give Margareete what she wants. Her own squadron of flying monkeys.

 Her own squadron of flying monkeys