Chapter Three

Ophelia was not an early riser and so when her mother walked into her room at eight chanting some old song and waving a huge bouquet in her face to wake her up, all she did was groan and hide under the covers.

"Oh this is a glorious morning. You have to wake up Ophelia."
It has been some time since her mother had actually come up to her room and woken her up with such a cheerful disposition. So she knew her mother was rather too happy this morning, and were those flowers she saw before she went into hiding? Flowers?

She quickly removed the bed covers, was wide awake and in a seated position, "What are those mother?"

"Those are a bunch of flowers, my dear," her mother said in a chirpy voice.

"I can see that but I meant from whom?"

"Oh from your suitor, Lord Gregory. Doesn't he have exquisite taste?"

Ophelia was not sure if she was still dreaming or if her mother had just actually said that she was getting married. "My suitor?" She asked dumbfounded and she didn't give her mother time to answer but continued with, "has he talked to father? Is he here now? Oh I should get dressed." Ophelia nearly went into a panic.

Her mother just laughed and said, "Relax my dear, no."
If her mother actually thought that "no" was an enough answer after sending her into a state of alarm then she ought to think again. Ophelia was usually described as being extremely pleasant, but she definitely wasn't feeling very charitable towards her mother at the moment.

"Mother would you care to explain what is going on?"

"Read the card attached to the bouquet, my dear, and you will understand everything."
She jumped off the bed and went over to the end table next to the fireplace where her mother had set the flowers, all the while listening to her mother humming a song, and she could swear she heard her sing "we have a suitor lala lala."

My Lady,

It was a very enjoyable outing and I do hope you like this selection of flowers. I was not sure which kind is your favourite and so I ordered one of each. I will call on you later.
Yours, Gregory

After reading and rereading the note a few times, she still was not able to understand what her mother was talking about and so she asked her.

"He said he will call later sweetheart and he also sent a very thoughtful note in addition to having an exquisite taste in flowers."

"Yes you have already mentioned that," Ophelia said in a low voice; not sure whether she wanted her mother to hear her or not. "I still don't understand why you would think he's going to propose and very soon according to your estimation."

"I saw how he looked at you yesterday and a proposal is just around the corner, mark my words. I will leave you to get dressed now dearest."

Too many endearments from her mother in one morning were never a good thing. Ophelia had planned to go to Elizabeth's house today and with her mother being very pleased with her, she knew she would drag her shopping or spend the whole afternoon planning the wedding.
In all the ruckus, Ophelia had forgotten that she had received a very beautiful and strange arrangement from a handsome gentleman that she actually liked and a thoughtful note as well. She walked back to the flowers and sniffed them; she also picked a small yellow rose and the card and placed them in the folds of her favourite book.