Chapter Nine

Andrew's plan of only proposing to Ophelia without real emotions was blown to the wind the minute he stepped into the hall and saw her. He caught sight of her instantly but not because he had memorized every detail of her body and face, yet. She was wearing a laced half mask that made it easy for someone to spot her features and recognize her face. She looked utterly mesmerizing. How was it possible that he had not seen how gorgeous she was all those years? But what captivated him the most was not how she looked, it was her genuine smile, the one that was preserved for those fortunate enough to truly know her; she smiled often and to everyone but that specific smile that he was looking at now reflected her angelic nature.

He purposefully strode to where she and his sister were chatting with a group of admirers and without much of an introduction, swept her to the dance floor. Thankfully he remembered to place his mask and so his rude interruption would not create much talk especially that it was a masquerade and people ought to misbehave right?

"You look magnificent," Andrew whispered in Ophelia's ear while manoeuvring her towards a Waltz position. He knew he shouldn't say much now with so many people around and so he did what many has called his talent. He twirled her around the dance floor so expertly that they had no chance to talk; however, it did put an even bigger smile on her face.

Ophelia was feeling utter joy. Andrew, whom she wasn't perfectly sure was him until he whispered those words to her, had whisked her off her feet while waltzing. She truly felt like she was dancing on clouds. The night couldn't be more perfect, and she couldn't help but smile knowing that this may have been the one fantasy that she never dared to dream.

Andrew bent down towards her to whisper something again but seemed to have lost the words and stepped back. Ophelia didn't mind that though since all her concentration was centred on the dance and how perfect it was. That in addition to her being almost out of breath and did not want to risk saying something or the other and seeming utterly disgruntled.

Andrew did what every other gentleman in the vicinity was thinking of; he was the first to do it though because he knew that he needed to be quick if he wanted the balcony all to himself.

"Ophelia," he started, "I want to tell you about a rose I was once given in Spain. It was on an extremely gloomy day where I was so wrapped up in my own problems that I barely noticed the gypsy who stopped me and gave me a rose saying that I will understand its value later on. I had no clue what she was hinting at. To me the rose looked extremely plain, fragile and simply nothing of value, however, I did keep it because I was curious about what the woman had told me. That night, I forgot the rose in my study but fortunately enough one of the maids had put it in water. The next day, I had woken up with a new disposition and with a smile on my face I went into the study to find that the rose had blossomed into full bloom, and the colour had changed and brightened."

Ophelia looked utterly pensive and probably was wondering why Andrew was saying all of this to her and so he added, "I know I am not making much sense but what I am trying to say is that for some time I thought that you were like that rose and in many ways you are but the truth is, the rose has always been magnificent, it just needed someone to see its radiance. I was blind Ophelia and I ask for your forgiveness. I have never been as happy as I am in your company. You are splendid and I was foolish enough to let you slip between my fingers a couple years back but as I said, I was blinded by my own ignorance. Ophelia I want to spend every waking moment around you, catering to you, loving you and being your man. Will you please accept becoming my wife?" Andrew had no idea where all of that came from, but he was pretty sure it had to do with his heart and now that it was out in the open, he was damn pleased with himself and glad that his heart took over this matter.