Chapter 5

I followed Mike back to the dorms. He seemed to know where he was going. We entered the large white room again, which was no longer white, but made of red bricks, which made it more welcoming, to some extent.

I walk over to the fireplace and sit in the same position as before: knees against chest, no shoes, toes over couch edge with arms wrapped around my legs. I stare at the burning flame of the fireplace for a while. I'm starting to believe that these people are the good guys and the people that just attacked us are the bad guys.  I continue rethinking the past events. I have been thrown into a new life with my friends, taken in by strangers that are currently at war.

I feel the couch's strings stretch a bit on my right. I turn my head to my right and see Mikayla sitting next to me, same way I'm sitting and staring into the flames. She had her all tangled up and loose, as if she had just got out of bed. Her eyes didn't blink for around half a minute, she was so focused on the dancing flames. "Thanks" she says, suddenly. She said it so quietly that I almost didn't hear her. Almost. I stare away from the flames, towards her. "For what?" I ask. She doesn't take her eyes off the fire. "When...the explosions happened at school, you forgot about the other attacks and came straight to me and Dawn's aid. So, I'm saying thank you" she says, louder, turning her head towards me. I smile at her. "You're one of my best friends. Of course I would help you first" I say. Mikayla chuckles. "Yeah, well. Just thank you...Mr. Groceries" she says, suddenly bursting out in laughter. I start laughing and shaking my head. "Oh shush, Oaky!" I demand, laughing. Mikayla shakes her head. "Nup" she says. Slowly, the laughter died away, replaced by silence. Without us noticing, the lights of the room had switched off, leaving the room dark, with nobody around. Everyone and gone off to bed. Mikayla chuckles on more time, brushing a single hair out of her eye. "Okay then. I'm going to bed. I owe you one" she says, jumping over the couch and heading to her dorms. I wave her goodbye and continue staring at the flames. I check my watch. 10:00 PM. Eventually, sleep consumed me and I fell asleep, on the couch.

*

My eyes slowly open. Mikayla was kneeling down in front of me. "Wake up, Groceries. Breakfast has been served" she says, laughing. I sit up, groggily. I groan and look around. In the middle of the room, was a large metal table, with some cereal brands, lots of toast, butter, jam and...Nutella. Nutella! YES! Everyone seemed as though they had eaten already and we playing on their phones. I jump off the couch (A/N my least favourite part of the day is getting out of the bed) and run to the take, grabbing some toast. I then grab some butter and Nutella, applying it to the toast. I finish eating within minutes. The second I finish eating, the door opens and everyone looks up. Dun walks in. "Please follow me. You are about to meet your new classmates" he says. Classmates? Dun read our minds. "That's right, you will all be divided into classes, with people you don't know. There are other people, like you, who have been taken in by us. You will divided into classes, where you will be trained in physical and mental combat skills. But before that, there will be what we like to call 'The Briefing', where we explain everything you will need to know. So, with that being said, follow me to the Briefing"