Chapter 6

I answered my phone after school that day. Caller ID didn't show his name. But I knew who it was. Dylan.
"June."
"Hmmm?"
"It's me. Dylan."
"I know."
Silence.
"Anyway, I want you to know that you shouldn't call me. As long as you're hanging out with...her."
"June..."
I can hear the hurt in his voice. It breaks me, so I hang up before I can regret it.
I sigh, picking at my nail polish.
Adalyn's words echo through my head.
You like him.
Not like. Love. Love love love love love. Dirty, horrible, heartbreaking, disgusting love. Yuck.
I had never been much of the type that had loved. Back then. But here we are, sophomore year, with me throwing a temper tantrum about some stupid boy and his maybe-sorta-girlfriend.
But they never really...went anywhere with their relationship.
I could give him so much more, I think. Love, we could be in love.
As you can tell, I talk to myself a lot.
I flashback to the day. New Years. We don't really have other friends, so he was at my house last year, on the roof, with me. Alone. Watching the sparkling fireworks, wrapped in a blanket. On my ROOF. And as I had the tugging feeling to kiss him, I stopped myself.
Scaredy cat.
What would have happened if I had kissed him?
Would I be in this situation?
I missed my chance.