Chapter 8

I'm sitting next to Dylan in the cafeteria. We've made up via texting, phone calls, and sometimes talking a little.
"Secret time?" he asks me. I nod. Secret time was basically exchanging secrets. He would tell me one, and in return, I had to tell him a secret. We hadn't done this since...oh, maybe seventh grade.
"Ok. I kissed her. It was awesome."
"Who?" I ask, a sinking feeling gathering in my stomach.
"Who else? Adalyn!" He says, beaming at me. "Ok, your turn."
"I think..." I start, taking a deep breath. "I think I'm in love with you."

He stares at me, realization, then surprise, then anger forming in his eyes. "Why didn't you TELL me? I would have NEVER kissed Adalyn if I knew you felt like that!"
"How COULD I? I think it started in fourth grade! I've never loved anyone else before! I don't know how to act! How to flirt! How to tell you!"
"I THOUGHT I SAID YOU COULD TRUST ME!"
"YOU'VE ALREADY KISSED HER! YOU LOVE HER! YOU CAN'T GO BACK AND THINK NOW! YOU'VE ALREADY DONE IT!"
"I'm sorry, June," he says quietly, "if I had known, I wouldn't have kissed her."
"It's okay. Because you didn't."
"We kissed next to the tree. Our tree."
I tried to stay calm. We'd claimed a tree at the park by carving our initials a long time ago. It was the place where Dylan and I hung out every day since second grade. Then, every year, we would carve in another symbol. It was hard to think that our hangout spot was tainted with guilt and...Adalyn.
I took the long route home that day on my bike.
The only love I've ever had. Taken. The memories we shared at the tree. Tainted. My dreams? Fading away.
By the time I got home, my face was stained with tears.